Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Slow Internet Connection

Slow Internet Connection

=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=

I upgraded from 256kb/s broadband to 2mb broadband. However even though my
internet gateway and wireless router have upgraded to the new faster
connection, my PC is still recieving the old 256k speed. Do I need to
configure my computer for the faster connection?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.

http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.

If the problem persist call your ISP and make sure that they actually turn
On the faster service.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Hells_Zargon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I upgraded from 256kb/s broadband to 2mb broadband. However even though my
> internet gateway and wireless router have upgraded to the new faster
> connection, my PC is still recieving the old 256k speed. Do I need to
> configure my computer for the faster connection?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.
If the problem persists call your ISP and make sure that they actually
turned On the faster service.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Hells_Zargon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I upgraded from 256kb/s broadband to 2mb broadband. However even though my
> internet gateway and wireless router have upgraded to the new faster
> connection, my PC is still recieving the old 256k speed. Do I need to
> configure my computer for the faster connection?

=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=

I did what was in the link to no avail. My download speed is still at 30kb/s
(should be nearer 200). I have contacted the service provider and the service
has been activated.

Could it be that the router is no transmitting the faster service? I know
that it is recieving it by viewing it's status. Or could my PC need an
upgrade to recognise the 2mb connection?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.
> http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
> The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
> Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.
> If the problem persists call your ISP and make sure that they actually
> turned On the faster service.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What is the type of your Internet connection?
What is internet gateway, a Modem, or Modem/Router Combo.
What is the Model of your Wireless Router?
Did you try a wire (cable) connection, or you are on Wireless only?
Any Ethernet computer Hardware should be able to handle 2mb/sec., even if it
is more than 5 years old.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Hells_Zargon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did what was in the link to no avail. My download speed is still at
>30kb/s
> (should be nearer 200). I have contacted the service provider and the
> service
> has been activated.
>
> Could it be that the router is no transmitting the faster service? I know
> that it is recieving it by viewing it's status. Or could my PC need an
> upgrade to recognise the 2mb connection?
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> The PC has to be optimized for the type of connection.
>> http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
>> The general Hardware has nothing to do with the speed. All Routers and
>> Network component can handle 2Mb/sec.
>> If the problem persists call your ISP and make sure that they actually
>> turned On the faster service.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

=?Utf-8?B?SGVsbHNfWmFyZ29u?=

We have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless router, connected to my pc on a wireless
connection via a BT Voyager 1055 wireless adaptor. I haven't tried a wired
connection, but the PC is nowhere near a phone socket so this would be
impractical in the long term.
The computer itself isn't very old, so should easily handle the connection.
Could the router be dividing the connection up, even though this PC is the
only user of the secure connection?