Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate and ATA186

Sipgate and ATA186

Malcolm Loades

This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
This also rules out voicemail.

I've changed the analogue handset to an alternative which makes no
difference. The ATA186 is running Version: v3.1.0 atasip (Build
040211A).

Any ideas, please?

PhilT

Malcolm Loades wrote:

> This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
> tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
> call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
> This also rules out voicemail.

> Any ideas, please?

are there any options to configure "in band signalling " or similar
DTMF options on the ATA ?

Phil

Malcolm Loades

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, PhilT
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Malcolm Loades wrote:
>
>> This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
>> tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
>> call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
>> This also rules out voicemail.

>> Any ideas, please?

>are there any options to configure "in band signalling " or similar
>DTMF options on the ATA ?

Not that I can see.

Sipgate have very detailed instructions for setting up the ATA186 on
their website including a screen shot of the ATA186 configuration page
(only accesible by registered users) and mine appears to match theirs.
I asked Sipgate support for help but they asked the same question as
you! I assume the ATA186 should work on Sipgate, otherwise why have
such detailed configuration details for it? Sipgate ignore this
question

Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?

Thanks.

PhilT

Malcolm Loades wrote:

> Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
> use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?

I have used mine with FWD as well as BT. Its resting at the moment.
(Assuming we're talking about a Cisco ATA186).

http://www.geckotechllc.com/pdf/CiscoATA18xguide.pdf may help. There's
a reference on p94 to an audio settings bitmap :-

4-5 and 20-21tmfMethod 0-Always in band.
1-By negotiation
2-Always out of band.
3-Disabled; no DTMF is sent. This is the default setting.

Good hunting.

Phil

Ivor Jones

"Malcolm Loades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:+E3lp0KBZW$(E-Mail Removed)
> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >
> > Malcolm Loades wrote:
> >
> > > This works perfectly with the exception of not being
> > > able to send DTMF tones over the line - dialling is
> > > no problem. Therefore I'm unable to call most
> > > business lines which answer with "For xxxx please
> > > press y". This also rules out voicemail.

> > > Any ideas, please?

> > are there any options to configure "in band signalling
> > " or similar DTMF options on the ATA ?

> Not that I can see.

There should be an option somewhere, I've not seen a 186 however the 486 I
had was configurable in this way, I can't remember the details offhand.

However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial the remote access
number 020 7043 7777 then you should be able to access it ok, let me know
if you have problems. Note that this number will ask you for your SIP ID
and 4-digit PIN.

Ivor

Tim

Malcolm Loades wrote:
> This works perfectly with the exception of not being able to send DTMF
> tones over the line - dialling is no problem. Therefore I'm unable to
> call most business lines which answer with "For xxxx please press y".
> This also rules out voicemail.

The same problem was reported to me yesterday but with sipgate and an
ATA1100.

I try and find out whether they got it working or not.

Tim

Malcolm Loades

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Malcolm Loades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:+E3lp0KBZW$(E-Mail Removed)
>> In message
>> <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
>> PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>> > are there any options to configure "in band signalling
>> > " or similar DTMF options on the ATA ?

>> Not that I can see.

>There should be an option somewhere, I've not seen a 186 however the 486 I
>had was configurable in this way, I can't remember the details offhand.
>
>However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial the remote access
>number 020 7043 7777 then you should be able to access it ok, let me know
>if you have problems. Note that this number will ask you for your SIP ID
>and 4-digit PIN.

Fine if done from a 'regular' phone, but no good using the
ATA186/Sipgate combination because the tones aren't recognised!

Malcolm

Malcolm Loades

In message <(E-Mail Removed). com>, PhilT
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Malcolm Loades wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here successfully use an ATA186 and Sipgate? Does anyone
>> use an ATA186 successfully with another provider?
>>

>I have used mine with FWD as well as BT. Its resting at the moment.
>(Assuming we're talking about a Cisco ATA186).
>
>http://www.geckotechllc.com/pdf/CiscoATA18xguide.pdf may help. There's
>a reference on p94 to an audio settings bitmap :-

Unfortunately this guide is for MGCP not SIP.

Malcolm

PhilT

Malcolm Loades wrote:

> Unfortunately this guide is for MGCP not SIP.

are you saying the audio bitmap does not exist on the SIP config ?

Having run both MGCP and SIP there is a lot of common ground on the
settings, as is clear from the Cisco documentation on the web.

The Sipgate page shows "0x00150015" as the "AudioMode:" setting.

The default in the manual is 0x00350035

With my limited bitmap skills it appears that the Sipgate setting is
for "by negotiation" so I suggest you try 0x00050005 which is "DTMF
always in band".

Phil

Ivor Jones

"Malcolm Loades" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:9OJFLjM5$d$(E-Mail Removed)
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

[snip]

> > However, as far as Sipgate voicemail goes, if you dial
> > the remote access number 020 7043 7777 then you should
> > be able to access it ok, let me know if you have
> > problems. Note that this number will ask you for your
> > SIP ID and 4-digit PIN.

> Fine if done from a 'regular' phone, but no good using the
> ATA186/Sipgate combination because the tones aren't
> recognised!

Ah, I see what you mean. Can you send me a screenshot of the configuration
page..? Send to g6urp01 at googlemail dot com and I'll have a look and see
if I can see anything obviously out of place.

Ivor

ATA186 and VOICEBUSTER setup chikenzass UK VOIP 0 06-25-2005 10:31 AM
ATA186 & domain name Steve Blair Cisco 1 12-12-2003 07:34 PM
ATA186+RoundTripDelay Umrilov D Cisco 0 11-11-2003 12:09 PM
Re: Desperate need of ATA186 2.16 Firmware Koby Cisco 0 06-23-2003 09:27 AM

Advertisments