Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > How to return .xml file from web service

How to return .xml file from web service

Bharat

Hi Everybody...

I have one web service ,which interacts with database and creates one
..xml file, now I want to pass this file to client...

can I return this file from web service to client....if yes plz tell me
how??

Thanks
Bharat

Bart Van der Donck

Bharat wrote:

> I have one web service ,which interacts with database and creates one
> .xml file, now I want to pass this file to client...
>
> can I return this file from web service to client....if yes plz tell me
> how??

The web service is the 'passive' part and the client the 'active' part.
This means, your service only responds to incoming requests from
clients that build up a connection with the service. The answer of the
server depends on the client's question. The service is a so-called
'daemon', that is, a programme that is listening at the server on a
specified port to incoming requests.

This stuff is typically done using socket communication. But I've also
seen web services over plain http, ftp or even by automated e-mail
processing. Plain http/ftp is simple: just place you XML file in a
fixed location and then point the client to that location with a GET
request.

There is support in most languages. I've seen examples in Perl, Java,
VB, C++... PHP's socket communication is still beta, so I heard. Pick
your favourite API language and study its documentation on how web
service requests are done there.

Hope this helps,

--
Bart