Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless connection disconnects every 5-10 minutes

wireless connection disconnects every 5-10 minutes

=?Utf-8?B?SmFl?=

I am sharng internet with my roomate using this wireless router. I had to put
his name and the network key to connect. I get excellent connetion for 5-10
minutes and then every single 5-10 minutes, it disconnects. >.<
So I can't surf internet or download files for more than 5-10 minutes.
Is there like a setup that I can change so that I can get connected this
freakin router for a long time without disconnection?
Please help me...this drives me crazy!

Malke

Jae wrote:

> I am sharng internet with my roomate using this wireless router. I had
> to put his name and the network key to connect. I get excellent
> connetion for 5-10 minutes and then every single 5-10 minutes, it
> disconnects. >.< So I can't surf internet or download files for more
> than 5-10 minutes. Is there like a setup that I can change so that I
> can get connected this freakin router for a long time without
> disconnection? Please help me...this drives me crazy!

First check the power management on the card. Go to Control
Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Expand the network devices
category and find your wireless adapter. Double-click it to get its
properties. If there is a power management tab click it. Uncheck the
box that says "allow Windows to turn off this device when not in use".

If that isn't applicable, open the wireless connection manager you are
using (Windows or the adapter's software) and set it to only connect to
preferred networks (language may be different, but the sense will be
the same).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers