Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Printer not showing up

Network Printer not showing up

scottnoddin@hotmail.com

Hello,
I have Windows XP Home on my desktop with a HP Photosmart 1115 Printer
hooked up to it. I have a notebook with Windows XP Professional. I am
using a
router to get internet to both CPU's. The desktop has a wire from the
router, the laptop is wireless. The internet works fine. Now I am
trying to set up a shared printer. I have selected my printer to share
in the printers folder and ran the Network Setup Wizard. When I try to
add a network printer by browsing on my laptop it sees the computer
labelled Basement (desktop) but there is no printers under it. I can't
figure out why it won't show up. When I browse for a network printer on

my basement computer (desktop) the printer shows up. I think this
problem has something to do with the XP Home not sharing its files and
printers properly because it is the same for file sharing. I'm not
overly concerned about the file sharing but if someone could help with
the printer it would be great. If I need to give more information just
let me know.
Thanks!

Malke

> Hello,
> I have Windows XP Home on my desktop with a HP Photosmart 1115 Printer
> hooked up to it. I have a notebook with Windows XP Professional. I am
> using a
> router to get internet to both CPU's. The desktop has a wire from the
> router, the laptop is wireless. The internet works fine. Now I am
> trying to set up a shared printer. I have selected my printer to share
> in the printers folder and ran the Network Setup Wizard. When I try to
> add a network printer by browsing on my laptop it sees the computer
> labelled Basement (desktop) but there is no printers under it. I can't
> figure out why it won't show up. When I browse for a network printer
> on
>
> my basement computer (desktop) the printer shows up. I think this
> problem has something to do with the XP Home not sharing its files and
> printers properly because it is the same for file sharing. I'm not
> overly concerned about the file sharing but if someone could help with
> the printer it would be great. If I need to give more information just
> let me know.
> Thanks!

I gave you a rather lengthy answer in the other newsgroup to which you
posted. Please do not multipost like this. See this link for an
explanation of why multiposting will actually get you *less* help and
is undesirable:

If you can't find your other thread, go to Google Groups Advanced Search
and search for your name.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers