Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Recording mpeg-4 on a dvd-r?

Recording mpeg-4 on a dvd-r?

Mark

Can someone help me with a question I have? I think there are dvd
players that will play mpeg-4 (although I'm not positive). Now can you
record mpeg-4 on a dvd-r and play it? I'm interested in knowing
specifically about mpeg-4 H.264 which is the best quality.

Bob

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:54:27 GMT, Mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think there are dvd
>players that will play mpeg-4 (although I'm not positive).

Yes, many of the newest player/recorder units can play MPG4s in one
form or the other. One of the more popular encodings is DivX/Xvid
AVIs. My ILO DVDR05MU1/6.10 can play XviDs. But I am no longer
recommending that unit because it appears Cyberhome who makes it may
go out of business. Anyway, a year later the unit is getting old.

All you can do is try it out at the store or buy a unit at WalMart so
you can take it back. Or you can call or email tech support at the
manufacturer to find out in advance.

>Now can you record mpeg-4 on a dvd-r and play it?

Auto Gordian Knot will convert DVD to AVI, which is the wrapper used
for DivX and Xvid MPG-4 encodings.

I find for medium resolution (19" viewscreen) that 1/2 CD size (350
MB) works fine for 42 minutes TV episodes. That's about 720x480
framesize, or close to it, and 1,000 kb/s bitrate. That's about 5
times smaller in size than an MP2 encoding. You can get 12 of those
files on a DVD, which is a half season of episodes. IOW, you can store
an entire season of 42 min episodes at good resolution on just 2 DVDs.

> I'm interested in knowing
>specifically about mpeg-4 H.264 which is the best quality.

Maltby is the acknowledged expert on that.

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

Bill's News

Mark wrote:
> Can someone help me with a question I have? I think there are dvd
> players that will play mpeg-4 (although I'm not positive). Now can
> you
> record mpeg-4 on a dvd-r and play it? I'm interested in knowing
> specifically about mpeg-4 H.264 which is the best quality.

Always a good place to check for desired player features:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
one hit

Googleing like this: "DVD Player" H264, produces some interesting
results in that it seems that KISS has one in the works and that
Broadcom may be bringing out an HDVDR.

Otherwise, both searches produce a dearth of hardware players
presently.

Bob

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:16:45 -0700, "Bill's News"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Always a good place to check for desired player features:
>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

Are there any decent affordable DVD recorders that have a hard disk,
DivX and XviD compatable, two TV encoders so you can record two TV
shows at the same time off of a regular antenna, time slip capability,
and Ethernet so you can mount the HD on your LAN? No game boxes.

--

Bob wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:16:45 -0700, "Bill's News"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Always a good place to check for desired player features:
>> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

> Are there any decent affordable DVD recorders that have a hard disk,
> DivX and XviD compatable, two TV encoders so you can record two TV
> shows at the same time off of a regular antenna, time slip
> capability,
> and Ethernet so you can mount the HD on your LAN? No game boxes.

Affordable for whom? The Hauppauge 500 PCI for MCE fits the bill at
the low end of current prices. I've read that some other cards can be
installed in multiples. There are quite a few stand alone devices
listed at the site referenced, but dual tuner is not yet an option on
the page, so I'll leave that for others to wade through. Rather than
Ethernet, which is not bad per se, I prefer USB2 NTFS formatted hard
drives to be supported. Hot-swapping these units places all of your
recordings onto the PC with absolutely no overhead on either the PC or
the recorder. I recently picked up a 600 gB LaCie USB2 for something
like US$260. One drawback of this unit though is that it doesn't idle
with disuse as some others do.

Maybe the folks at videohelp will add the multi-tuner checkbox to the
search in the future.

Bob

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:59:45 -0700, "Bill's News"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Affordable for whom? The Hauppauge 500 PCI for MCE fits the bill at
>the low end of current prices. I've read that some other cards can be
>installed in multiples.

I am looking for a DVDR. I would rather not have to build my own PVR
at this time, certainly not with Windows. I have been using NT (NT4
and NT5, aka Win2K) for 10 years now and I am still chasing down bugs.

> There are quite a few stand alone devices
>listed at the site referenced, but dual tuner is not yet an option on
>the page, so I'll leave that for others to wade through.

I did some wading and did not see any. I was hoping you had another
site in mind.

> Rather than
>Ethernet, which is not bad per se, I prefer USB2 NTFS formatted hard
>drives to be supported. Hot-swapping these units places all of your
>recordings onto the PC with absolutely no overhead on either the PC or
>the recorder. I recently picked up a 600 gB LaCie USB2 for something
>like US$260. One drawback of this unit though is that it doesn't idle
>with disuse as some others do.

Ethernet is so much better in a setting where there are multiple
computers. Imagine the classic family of 4 with 4 different sets of
tastes in entertainment. Fill the hard drive with all sorts of content
and let each person view it on their own computer in their own room.

But I do like the idea of USB memory. I will include that on my
wishlist.

>Maybe the folks at videohelp will add the multi-tuner checkbox to the
>search in the future.

First they need to add one for hard drives.

--

Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:59:45 -0700, "Bill's News"

<snip>
> First they need to add one for hard drives.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
For DVD recorders, look in the "Features" section, check "Built in
HardDrive ..."

Bill's News

Bob wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:59:45 -0700, "Bill's News"

<snip

>> Rather than
>> Ethernet, which is not bad per se, I prefer USB2 NTFS formatted
>> hard
>> drives to be supported. Hot-swapping these units places all of
>> your
>> recordings onto the PC with absolutely no overhead on either the PC
>> or the recorder. I recently picked up a 600 gB LaCie USB2 for
>> something like US$260. One drawback of this unit though is that it
>> doesn't idle with disuse as some others do.

> Ethernet is so much better in a setting where there are multiple
> computers. Imagine the classic family of 4 with 4 different sets of
> tastes in entertainment. Fill the hard drive with all sorts of
> content
> and let each person view it on their own computer in their own room.

<snip>

Aside from the erosion of the nuclear (or new-klew-yar?) family, the
problem with the Ethernet connection to a stand-alone recorder is that
you will not likely have 4 family members each viewing a recording of
their own choice from the player on 4 different PCs while the player
is also recording 2 or more channels and possibly playing a DVD for a
local TV viewer having no PC. This is why I feel that a NIC for the
stand-alone is underkill. The family with multiple PCs is already
networked; the transfer of the entire content of the USB drive to
their network takes but seconds to accomplish. A fresh, empty, USB
drive is plugged into the recorder in its place. The size of this
hard drive then becomes whimsical on the part of the user. In this
case, the stand-alone player's internal hard-drive would be quite
generous at 80 gB or so, merely enough to hold the OS, the guide, the
users' program selections, and a generous timeshift buffer - and it
would not need to be scalable by source video definition.

This of course will never happen while there is an MPAA ;-0) And I
doubt that TiVo's quite hackable USB transfer will ever fly with the
series 3, if they're expecting cable companies to provide cable-cards.
The copyright holders of HiDef and DVD source materials have every
right to expect that hole to be plugged - while still allowing support
of lower resolution (upto 480p) transfers in the spirit of long past
court decisions.

Bob

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 06:59:07 -0700, "Bill's News"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> First they need to add one for hard drives.

>http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
>For DVD recorders, look in the "Features" section, check "Built in
>HardDrive ..."

Thanks.

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

Bob

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006 07:58:45 -0700, "Bill's News"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Aside from the erosion of the nuclear (or new-klew-yar?) family, the
>problem with the Ethernet connection to a stand-alone recorder is that
>you will not likely have 4 family members each viewing a recording of
>their own choice from the player on 4 different PCs while the player
>is also recording 2 or more channels and possibly playing a DVD for a
>local TV viewer having no PC. This is why I feel that a NIC for the
>stand-alone is underkill. The family with multiple PCs is already
>networked; the transfer of the entire content of the USB drive to
>their network takes but seconds to accomplish. A fresh, empty, USB
>drive is plugged into the recorder in its place. The size of this
>hard drive then becomes whimsical on the part of the user. In this
>case, the stand-alone player's internal hard-drive would be quite
>generous at 80 gB or so, merely enough to hold the OS, the guide, the
>users' program selections, and a generous timeshift buffer - and it
>would not need to be scalable by source video definition.

You make a good case for using USB flash memory and doing away with
the network connection. However it does entail extra operations, which
I suppose can be overlooked if the interface is super friendly.

Plug in memory, point and click, download, remove memory. If it's that
easy, then I am sold. Screw Ethernet.

--

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress."
--Mark Twain

Recording Call Manager Configuration John Daragon Cisco 4 08-19-2005 02:04 PM
Recording Audio From Website (there must be a way) =?Utf-8?B?QUNhdW50ZXI=?= ASP .Net 1 03-01-2005 06:19 PM
Regarding ACTs recording problem nglmartin@yahoo.co.uk ASP .Net 1 02-08-2005 02:28 PM
Commands recording hakim soso Cisco 3 10-31-2004 09:22 PM
RE: Recording WAVs Chris Moore ASP .Net 0 04-02-2004 11:42 PM

Advertisments