Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Disabling some wireless connections

Disabling some wireless connections

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=

I have 4 computers connected with a wireless router. I want to selectively
disable the internet connection to the kid's notebook computers from time to
time. Is there a way to do that from my computer? My notebook isn't a wired
connection; a family computer is the one wired. Thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Almost all Wireless Routers let you filter the logon by MAC number.
Log from the wired computer to the Router's menu system and put in the
filter section the MAC number of the Your laptop in the allowed filter. When
you switch on the filter only your Wireless would connect to the Internet.
When you switch it Off all wireless computers would be able to connect.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 4 computers connected with a wireless router. I want to selectively
> disable the internet connection to the kid's notebook computers from time
> time. Is there a way to do that from my computer? My notebook isn't a
> wired
> connection; a family computer is the one wired. Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=

Thanks, need further help....how do I find the Linksys router menu system on
the wired computer?
Thanks,
Randy

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> Almost all Wireless Routers let you filter the logon by MAC number.
> Log from the wired computer to the Router's menu system and put in the
> filter section the MAC number of the Your laptop in the allowed filter. When
> you switch on the filter only your Wireless would connect to the Internet.
> When you switch it Off all wireless computers would be able to connect.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have 4 computers connected with a wireless router. I want to selectively
> > disable the internet connection to the kid's notebook computers from time
> > time. Is there a way to do that from my computer? My notebook isn't a
> > wired
> > connection; a family computer is the one wired. Thanks

Malke

Randy wrote:

> Thanks, need further help....how do I find the Linksys router menu
> system on the wired computer?

Open a browser and in the addressbar type:

http://192.168.1.1 [enter]

You will need to enter the password you used when you set up the router.
The default password is admin if you didn't change it (and you should,
as well as changing the SSID).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?UmFuZHk=?=

The browser won't open when I type in http://192.168.1.1 Also, where do I
find the MAC number of my laptop?

Thanks again,
Randy

"Malke" wrote:

> Randy wrote:
>
> > Thanks, need further help....how do I find the Linksys router menu
> > system on the wired computer?

> Open a browser and in the addressbar type:
>
> http://192.168.1.1 [enter]
>
> You will need to enter the password you used when you set up the router.
> The default password is admin if you didn't change it (and you should,
> as well as changing the SSID).
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Randy wrote:

> The browser won't open when I type in http://192.168.1.1 Also, where
> do I find the MAC number of my laptop?

Don't know why not unless you changed the router's IP address or it
isn't a Linksys. Since I can't see your router from here...

The MAC on a laptop is usually on the bottom.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Frank

The MAC number as you put it, is the address of the network adapter, not the
laptop. No offense please, but you are asking questions about 10 steps ahead
of where you are at. You need to read a little. Just type in home wireless
in google and you will be amazed at what you find. EAsy too!.
Anyway, Each network adapter has a Mac address. If the notebooks have
built in wireless you can find the mac address real easy by going to
start/run. type command or cmd(depending if you have winxp or not) hit
enterand a window will open. Type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes(space
after the word ipconfig) and hit enter. You will see the mac address right
there, it will normally say "Physical Address". You can do this on the
desktop also. You should write all of them down. If the laptops have
adapters that you added on to a slot, the mac address will be on the box and
the adapter. Good Luck
Frank L