Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Gaming > Sims 2 & Graphics Cards

Sims 2 & Graphics Cards

welsh_angel welsh_angel is offline
Junior Member

I have just had a PC built for me and my Sims 2 games don't work properly. I think that I have on-board graphics and I would like to buy a decent graphics card but not sure what to get. I spoke to someone not long ago who recommended Geforce4 or Geforce 5200FX/5500FX and these were AGP 8x - How do I tell if my motherboard will support this kind of graphics card?
My current system is as follows:

Motherboard: http://www.abit.com.tw/ KV-85 (VIA K8M800-8237R) 1.x
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 02/06/2006
448 Megabytes Installed Memory
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP [Display adapter]
Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (4x)
USB Human Interface Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (4x)
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
c: (NTFS on drive 0) 82.34 GB 55.95 GB free

I don't know how much of that anyone needs to know in order to assist me so I just put it all down! I read somewhere someone had a similar problem to me, the game had violent red flashing lights on the screen and it ran really slowly. Please help!!

Gez Gez is offline
Senior Member

Yes, your motherboard supports AGP 8x grafix cards. The two that you posted would work wonders for what you are usign them for. The AGP 8x slot is almost standard these days unless you get a motherboard specificly designed for PCI express cards. However yes, buy an AGP 8x card, most any card made within the last 2 years would be beter than your onboard video.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Yes that video card is definately causing those problems, look at getting a standard one, like u listed, 5200FX/5500FX. After all we are talking about the sims 2 here....

shmareh shmareh is offline
Junior Member

I know that this is late to the original thread but I am really stuck! Have no idea about computers but know i need a new graphics card as my sims2 expansion is voilently red!!!
here are my stats

Field Value
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard Name NEC COMPUTERS INTERNATIONAL NEC Versa Premium
Motherboard ID <DMI>

Front Side Bus Properties
Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock 400 MHz
Bus Width 64-bit
Bus Type Intel AGTL+
Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio 5:3
Bus Width 64-bit
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)
Effective Clock 533 MHz
Bus Width 8-bit
Bus Type VIA V-Link
Bandwidth 533 MB/s

please help!
thanks

16-1 and 2-1 Sims cards Greg House NZ Computing 2 07-16-2007 08:40 AM
Gizmodo: NVIDIA Ships 128-Core Graphics Cards for High-End Film Editors Graphics Pros Silverstrand Front Page News 0 03-05-2007 03:32 PM
70-293/294 Sims? =?Utf-8?B?U2xpZGU3MQ==?= MCSE 4 09-16-2005 04:31 PM
293/4 now with sims? James MCSE 0 07-05-2005 06:54 PM
Feedback - CiscoWorks SIMS George Cisco 2 07-02-2004 01:42 PM

Advertisments