Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cordless, dual PSTN/VOIP phone

Reply
Thread Tools

Cordless, dual PSTN/VOIP phone

 
 
SUMMONER
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
I am currently shopping for a new phone.

Thought of bringing my old BT EasyCom1000 over to the next century with
an adaptor.
(http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=275436)
I have always liked the big screen (they should have put back-light on
it!), it's big buttons and the nice address book/call log features.

Anyway, I am now shopping for a new one instead, budget is ~ 60+VAT.

My eye has fallen on an eBay sold DECT phone, which sports both PSTN and
VOIP compatibility. Anyone used one of these before and can comment on
it's built quality, speech quality and menu handling
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Is there anything else that's worth looking at, for a similar price?

Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.

Kind Regards

Malte

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
"SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YACKg.122005$%(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.


And it was all going so well.......!

Ivor


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SUMMONER
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
Ya - was a hard decision. I am not a friend of proprietary stuff, usually.

Got a pile load of customers/friends on Skype already and find myself
using it more and more often.
In addition it now works on on my PDA (badly).

Kind Regards

Malte



Ivor Jones wrote:
> "SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YACKg.122005$%(E-Mail Removed)
>
> [snip]
>
>> Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.

>
> And it was all going so well.......!
>
> Ivor
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
"SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XVCKg.15038$(E-Mail Removed)
> Ya - was a hard decision. I am not a friend of
> proprietary stuff, usually.
> Got a pile load of customers/friends on Skype already and
> find myself using it more and more often.
> In addition it now works on on my PDA (badly).
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Malte


You'll have to convert them to SIP <g>

There are Wi-Fi phones that work with Skype I think but they're way too
overpriced for me to be at all interested.

Ivor

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet and in e-mail?


 
Reply With Quote
 
SUMMONER
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
ya right...

This is similar to what happened to me with Instant Messaging. First I
had an ICQ account, then added AIM and finally MSN. All just to please
the others.
Today many of the networks are linked, allowing cross messaging.

I feel a long and hard road ahead, especially when it comes to keeping a
hold of that new 0207.. number I got off skype. :/

No way in life am I going to spend the kinda money Linksys want on a
hand set, that doesn't even replace my mobile phone.
I would rather settle for one of the 20 adapters and continue using my
trusty wired Easycom phone.

Kind Regards

Malte

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XVCKg.15038$(E-Mail Removed)
>> Ya - was a hard decision. I am not a friend of
>> proprietary stuff, usually.
>> Got a pile load of customers/friends on Skype already and
>> find myself using it more and more often.
>> In addition it now works on on my PDA (badly).
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Malte

>
> You'll have to convert them to SIP <g>
>
> There are Wi-Fi phones that work with Skype I think but they're way too
> overpriced for me to be at all interested.
>
> Ivor
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jono
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
After serious thinking SUMMONER wrote :

> I feel a long and hard road ahead, especially when it comes to keeping a hold
> of that new 0207.. number I got off skype. :/


<Pedant on>

Surely that's an 020 number?

<Pedant off>


 
Reply With Quote
 
SUMMONER
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
lol! Silly me, of course you are right.

Kind Regards

Malte

Jono wrote:
> After serious thinking SUMMONER wrote :
>
>> I feel a long and hard road ahead, especially when it comes to keeping
>> a hold of that new 0207.. number I got off skype. :/

>
> <Pedant on>
>
> Surely that's an 020 number?
>
> <Pedant off>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
>
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with a
sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51 pda
configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network and
that also works fine!


"SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YACKg.122005$%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>I am currently shopping for a new phone.
>
> Thought of bringing my old BT EasyCom1000 over to the next century with an
> adaptor.
> (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=275436)
> I have always liked the big screen (they should have put back-light on
> it!), it's big buttons and the nice address book/call log features.
>
> Anyway, I am now shopping for a new one instead, budget is ~ 60+VAT.
>
> My eye has fallen on an eBay sold DECT phone, which sports both PSTN and
> VOIP compatibility. Anyone used one of these before and can comment on
> it's built quality, speech quality and menu handling
> (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)
>
> Is there anything else that's worth looking at, for a similar price?
>
> Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Malte
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
SUMMONER
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
Looks good for outgoing land line calls, but they don't give you a phone
number/voice mail.

What is the minimum top-up, in order to get the 120days free-calling?

What numbers do they mean with...
- UK National Rate 10p/min 0870???
- UK Personal 18p/min 07.. personal numbers???

What is their minimum connect charge?

Thanks!

Malte


><)))'> Orange Peel <'(((>< wrote:
> I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with a
> sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51 pda
> configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network and
> that also works fine!
>
>
> "SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:YACKg.122005$%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I am currently shopping for a new phone.
>>
>> Thought of bringing my old BT EasyCom1000 over to the next century with an
>> adaptor.
>> (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=275436)
>> I have always liked the big screen (they should have put back-light on
>> it!), it's big buttons and the nice address book/call log features.
>>
>> Anyway, I am now shopping for a new one instead, budget is ~ 60+VAT.
>>
>> My eye has fallen on an eBay sold DECT phone, which sports both PSTN and
>> VOIP compatibility. Anyone used one of these before and can comment on
>> it's built quality, speech quality and menu handling
>> (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)
>>
>> Is there anything else that's worth looking at, for a similar price?
>>
>> Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.
>>
>> Kind Regards
>>
>> Malte
>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
>
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
The sell in euros, 10 euro every 120 days, or 1.74 per month! The gave my a
0121 number as I live in brum, No voice mail but the most phones come with
them built in.
I only call uk / Ireland, sometimes USA and the Netherlands, so my bill has
never gone over the 2.50 euros
No connection fee !

Opeel
"SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vuGKg.98611$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Looks good for outgoing land line calls, but they don't give you a phone
> number/voice mail.
>
> What is the minimum top-up, in order to get the 120days free-calling?
>
> What numbers do they mean with...
> - UK National Rate 10p/min 0870???
> - UK Personal 18p/min 07.. personal numbers???
>
> What is their minimum connect charge?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Malte
>
>
> ><)))'> Orange Peel <'(((>< wrote:
>> I use a PAP2 with a normal dect BT roam around phone for the house, with
>> a sipdiscount account!! Works well, I also have sjphone on my dell x51
>> pda configured to my sip account for when i hit an unsecured wifi network
>> and that also works fine!
>>
>>
>> "SUMMONER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:YACKg.122005$%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> I am currently shopping for a new phone.
>>>
>>> Thought of bringing my old BT EasyCom1000 over to the next century with
>>> an adaptor.
>>> (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=275436)
>>> I have always liked the big screen (they should have put back-light on
>>> it!), it's big buttons and the nice address book/call log features.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I am now shopping for a new one instead, budget is ~ 60+VAT.
>>>
>>> My eye has fallen on an eBay sold DECT phone, which sports both PSTN and
>>> VOIP compatibility. Anyone used one of these before and can comment on
>>> it's built quality, speech quality and menu handling
>>> (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1)
>>>
>>> Is there anything else that's worth looking at, for a similar price?
>>>
>>> Oh and the service it has to work with is Skype-in/out.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>>
>>> Malte
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C3845, Dual Hub Dual DMVPN Hub-To-Spoke, Limitations? Dennis Breithaupt Cisco 9 08-21-2007 09:35 PM
Free Phone to Phone Calling.. From any phone to any other anywhere coolguy17111987 VOIP 0 07-01-2007 07:27 AM
Free Phone to Phone Calling.. From any phone to any other anywhere coolguy17111987 Cisco 0 07-01-2007 07:27 AM
NetGear SPH200D dual Dual-mode, Cordless Phone vs Dualphone 3088 dual mode cordless phone Paul NZ Computing 0 05-08-2007 09:06 AM
Advice needed for new PC: dual Xeon or dual Opteron, or neither... Toby Computer Information 65 04-22-2004 12:30 AM



Advertisments