Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Using Server to Terminate Network Feed

Using Server to Terminate Network Feed

Bob Simon

I have been asked to help implement a network for a school. They have
a MC3800 router with two serial ports and one Ethernet port. Since
funds are limited to buy another ethernet module, someone designed the
network using what they have. Here's the proposed design:

10 Mb feed from Cox Cable goes directly into a server's E0. Server
is running Windows Server 2003 and Websense web filtering software.
Filtered output leaves server's E1 and goes to Catalyst 4507R. Access
is through one 48 port Ethernet module in the 4507R plus two local and
seven remote 3550s connected via fiber.

I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other
than a router. Will the proposed design work? If so, do you foresee
any problems from not using a router? Finally, if we want to set up
VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

Merv

> 10 Mb feed from Cox Cable goes directly into a server's E0. Server
> is running Windows Server 2003 and Websense web filtering software.
> Filtered output leaves server's E1 and goes to Catalyst 4507R. Access
> is through one 48 port Ethernet module in the 4507R plus two local and
> seven remote 3550s connected via fiber.

> I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other
> than a router. Will the proposed design work?

As long as the server can keep up with expected traffic volumes.

> Finally, if we want to set up VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

yes

to configure layer 3 interface on 4507R see Cisco doc:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080233fa9.html

Dom

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:55 -0500, Bob Simon wrote:
> I have been asked to help implement a network for a school. They have
> a MC3800 router with two serial ports and one Ethernet port.

If it's fast ethernet, trunk it.

> I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other
> than a router.

How 'bout a proxy? That might be a good place to terminate an internet
connection. If the server is configured to route, then it is a router.
Bloody bad idea to put windows in that role. As far as networking is
concerned windows ranks at the very bottom of the heap.

> Will the proposed design work?

Not very well, in my opinion. Then again, I know nothing of implementing
websense and the ramifications there about.

> If so, do you foresee
> any problems from not using a router? Finally, if we want to set up
> VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

Your "server/router" could route between vlans. My understanding is that
the intel proset drivers support trunking.