Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Callout-like Tooltip replacement?

Callout-like Tooltip replacement?

classacts@gmail.com

Hi

I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Daniel Dyer

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:07:10 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
> find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
> for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
> only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
> TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
> have any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance

If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
use the new desktop and systray functionality.

See
http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...ng/systemtray/,
specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
http://www.dandyer.co.uk

unomystEz

Daniel Dyer wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 15:07:10 +0100, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm interested in designing a tooltip like a callout box you can
> > find in Windows' systray or eclipse. I would like to use it primarily
> > for giving hints or notifications to users for certain controls. The
> > only way I can think of doing this is either by writing a custom
> > TooltipUI or doing some fancy things with the glasspane. Anyone here
> > have any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> If you can use Java 6.0 (which is currently in beta), you might be able to
> use the new desktop and systray functionality.
>
> See
> http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...ng/systemtray/,
> specifically the displayMessage method of the TrayIcon class.
>
> Dan.
>
> --
> Daniel Dyer
> http://www.dandyer.co.uk

I believe java 6.0 uses OS-specific syscalls to accomplish that. I'm
looking for a way to have balloon tooltips that attach themselves to
components. After doing more research, the possibility of using
J/Window won't work because it can't be transparent. So I'm still left
with either TooltipUI or glasspane... I found a link on google to a
JBalloonTooltip that seems to be dead, supposedly it did use native
syscalls and probably works on windows only.

How could I add a tooltip to an iframe ? Also, the tooltip contents has to be determine @ run-time ! Radu ASP .Net 1 01-08-2007 04:11 PM
show subitem text of listview control in tooltip Lucky ASP .Net 0 12-22-2005 07:04 AM
Tooltip Text Display? Majordomo Firefox 3 11-11-2004 09:45 PM
ToolTip Jim Heavey ASP .Net 0 10-17-2003 03:50 AM
Re: Question: How to get more info on tooltip error/squiggly VB Programmer ASP .Net 1 07-01-2003 07:42 PM

Advertisments