Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Please help with password on PIX 501

Please help with password on PIX 501

JM

I know asking for passwords is a common theme, and I've tried to get the
answer from the internet and on Cisco's website, but the problem is we have
no information to start with. We don't know the PIX software version or
anything.

Our internet provider installed this PIX 501 several years ago. Now they
are under new ownership, and they evidently cannot provide the passwords.
We would like to use it, however. But what can we do, since we do not know
the version?

thank you,

jm

Walter Roberson

In article <1c4Kg.76112$(E-Mail Removed)>,
JM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I know asking for passwords is a common theme, and I've tried to get the
>answer from the internet and on Cisco's website, but the problem is we have
>no information to start with. We don't know the PIX software version or
>anything.

>Our internet provider installed this PIX 501 several years ago. Now they
>are under new ownership, and they evidently cannot provide the passwords.
>We would like to use it, however. But what can we do, since we do not know
>the version?

If I recall correctly, if you watch the console port (9600 8N1) during
bootup, the PIX software version number will be mentioned.

If you had to guess at a version, guess 6.2. The PIX 501 did not
exist until 6.1(1), but 6.1 was not really a long lasting release
and due to security problems and improved functionality, most sites
would have gone to 6.2. If they haven't been actively maintaining the
PIX, they might not have upgraded to PIX 6.3 -- which has also been
out for a few years now. I'm estimating that "several years" likely
places it at 6.2, with 6.3 as a possible.

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Password Recovery:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8009478b.shtml

For step by step instruction.

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power...-inventory.htm

Cisco pix 501 vs 501-50 cdoc Cisco 6 05-20-2006 03:53 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
PIX 501 Password Recovery lshkim@hotmail.com Cisco 4 06-11-2004 01:09 PM
Reseting Password on Pix 501 Mankney Cisco 2 04-27-2004 01:59 PM
can't tftp password changer to pix 501 Kerry Cisco 5 01-30-2004 04:38 AM

Advertisments