Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > trunk ports

trunk ports

tony

I am going to be moving from layer 2 to layer 3. Since we are still on
layer 2, is there any problem with configuring all my uplinks to the core
switch as trunks first?

lfnetworking

tony wrote:
> I am going to be moving from layer 2 to layer 3. Since we are still on
> layer 2, is there any problem with configuring all my uplinks to the core
> switch as trunks first?

you configure trunks in order to pass traffic from multiple vlans on the
same physical link. In other words, whatever you're doing at layer 3 if
you've defined more than one vlan that needs to get from one switch to
another you need trunks