Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Shopping...

Cisco Shopping...

amattina@layer8group.com

Have two Internet connections, one cable, one dsl, terminated with
provider-based modems into Ethernet links. I need a Cisco device to do
failover on the two links, not necessarily load balancing, just
failover...10 remote VPN clients, 50-100 internal users, firewall
capabilities. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the 1841 ISR but don't
know if it does failover or can do the dual Ethernet WAN links. It
looks like it does. This is for an ambulance dispatch center, thus the
redundant links. Any ideas/suggestions/anyone doing this well with a
device now? Trying to trash the current Nortel device.

Thanks.

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Solution Designer:

http://www.ciscowebtools.com/sa2/child/1.0/index.asp

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Repair
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-power...-inventory.htm

Dom

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 11:34 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need a Cisco device to do
> failover on the two links, not necessarily load balancing, just
> failover...

If you can get one of the ISPs to give you a rip default originate, then
you can use a floating static route to failover to the other.

> I'm looking at the 1841 ISR but don't
> know if it does failover or can do the dual Ethernet WAN links.

You probably won't need dual ethernet wan. A router with a single fast
etherent interface will likely do the trick. Trunk it to a cisco 2950 or
something and create a lan vlan and wan vlans.