Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Flash object in HTML; shows in FF, not in IE

Flash object in HTML; shows in FF, not in IE

avanhalen@gmail.com

To embed flash objects in my pages, I read them from a database.
A script file (Filedownload.aspx) reads it from the database, and
streams it to the browser.

Here are two example flash objects in a page. The first 1 (a simple
link to an existing swf-file on the webserver) is showing in each
browser (IE & FF), while the other one (using the filedownload page) is
only being shown in FF.

Does it have something to do with file-extension?
I'm stuck here...

Any help is appreciated !!

<embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
src="/Files/cubes.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
scale="ShowAll" play="true" loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window"
quality="1"></embed>

<embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
src="/Files/filedownload.aspx?fileid=5cb316a4-363b-457e-b60d-e10e457a31ea&output=flash"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" scale="ShowAll" play="true"
loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window" quality="1"></embed>

Mark Fitzpatrick

You are keeping in mind that IE has been changed in the way objects can be
embedded into a web page due to the eolas patent. Try clicking on it to see
if it's possible that the flash just isn't activated. The other thing is
the object tag. Keep in mind that the embed coding is used by one browser
and the object coding is used by another. an example for your first flash
would be:

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"
width="179" height="180">
<param name="movie" value="/Files/cubes.swf">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="menu" value="true">
<param name="play" value="true">
<param name="wmode" value="Window">
<param name="scale" value="ShowAll">
<embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
src="/Files/cubes.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
scale="ShowAll" play="true" loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window"
quality="1"></embed>
</object>

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> To embed flash objects in my pages, I read them from a database.
> A script file (Filedownload.aspx) reads it from the database, and
> streams it to the browser.
>
> Here are two example flash objects in a page. The first 1 (a simple
> link to an existing swf-file on the webserver) is showing in each
> browser (IE & FF), while the other one (using the filedownload page) is
> only being shown in FF.
>
> Does it have something to do with file-extension?
> I'm stuck here...
>
> Any help is appreciated !!
>
> <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
> src="/Files/cubes.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
> scale="ShowAll" play="true" loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window"
> quality="1"></embed>
>
> <embed pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
> src="/Files/filedownload.aspx?fileid=5cb316a4-363b-457e-b60d-e10e457a31ea&output=flash"
> type="application/x-shockwave-flash" scale="ShowAll" play="true"
> loop="true" menu="true" wmode="Window" quality="1"></embed>

avanhalen@gmail.com

Hey Mark

As mentioned : a direct link to a swf file on the server show the flash
object in my browser. But when using the FileDownload.aspx to stream
the flash object to the browser it doesn't show.
However, surrounding the embed element with the object element like you
mentioned shows the flash object.

So my next step is. Just use the object element AND the embed element.
My problem was that I'm using FCKEditor to create content, and of
course the way FCK implements handling of Flash objects: it inserts an
embed element in the editor only...

I came up with an idea (not to touch FCK) is whenever I want to display
content on my website, I simply transform the content through a xslt
(it's xhtml) which adds the object element.

And everything is working. Even Firefox shows the flash objects if
embedded in the object element!

Thanks for pointing this out Mark !

Albert