Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Help ... Which CISCO router to buy ?

Help ... Which CISCO router to buy ?

Joe

Hello,

I need to buy a CISCO router but I don't know which one.
I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN ...
I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.

So I don't need any integrated services (such as VPN, Firewall, or VOIP)
.... I need a really simple router.

Could you please help me ?

Thanks a lot.

Joe

Merv

> I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN ...
> I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
> Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.

Perhaps you could provide some more details on exactly what your
connectivity requirments are or what you are tyring to accomplish.

Walter Roberson

In article <44f6caa2$0$15667$(E-Mail Removed)>, Joe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need to buy a CISCO router but I don't know which one.
>I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN ...
>I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
>Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.

>So I don't need any integrated services (such as VPN, Firewall, or VOIP)
>... I need a really simple router.

If you do not need IOS then possibly your requirements would be
met by one of the devices in the Linksys line.

A lot will depend on how much load you will be putting through the ports.

Joe

Merv wrotes :

>> Hello,
>> I need to buy a CISCO router but I don't know which one.
>> I only need to have a router with 4 Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN

.... I think it's the same thing) - Autoneg./10/100 Mbps -
Autosence/Half/Full Duplex on each interface.
>> So I don't need any integrated services (such as VPN, Firewall, or

VOIP) ... I need a really simple router.
>> Could you please help me ? Thanks a lot.
>> Joe

> Perhaps you could provide some more details on exactly what your
> connectivity requirments are or what you are tyring to accomplish.

Ok thank you.
The problem is the following : my company (C1) needs to be connected to
2 others companys (C2 and C3) ... and another company will arrive in the
future (C4).

For the moment :
C2 <=> C1 <=> C3

We have recently changed the two links between C2 and C1, and beteewn C1
and C3. In the past they were "serial connections" ... and they are now
"Ethernet Connections". And plus, we need a third ethernet connection
because C1 is a LAN.

So, we need a router with at less 3 ethernet connections (4 in the
future) to connect all these sites.

Joe

Merv

So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps

Joe

Merv wrotes :
> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps

Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.

That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
following modes :
- Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
- Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
change it as we will want in the future.

Thanks again.

Scooby

news:44f6f0e0$0$26044$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Merv wrotes :
>> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
>> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps
>>

> Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
> Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
> And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
> For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
>
> That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
> following modes :
> - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
> - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
> And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
> change it as we will want in the future.
>
> Thanks again.

For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a router. A
lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much better.
Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version of the IOS,
otherwise the standard should do.

Joe

Scooby a écrit :
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44f6f0e0$0$26044$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Merv wrotes :
>>> So since you have the connections already in place do you know the busy
>>> hour traffic volumes in terms of packets per second or preferable Mbps
>>>

>> Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
>> Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
>> And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
>> For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
>>
>> That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
>> following modes :
>> - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
>> - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
>> And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
>> change it as we will want in the future.
>>
>> Thanks again.

> For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a router. A
> lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much better.
> Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version of the IOS,
> otherwise the standard should do.

Are you sure ?
I think this solution will be impossible for me because I really need
routing functions : all the sites need to communicate with all the
others sites through our site (C1), so through this router.

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Joe,

You may also wish to speak with your local Cisco Pre-Sales Support
Contact:

http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Repair

Nathan Harmon

I concur with Scooby, a multilayer switch (like a 3560) is probably the
most appropriate solution to your needs. It seems to me that you have 4
different LANs that need to communicate with each other, but each has
its own IP addressing, etc. In such a case, a multilayer switch would
act as a router passing data among the networks, but with speeds you
normally want to see with ethernet networks.

Let me know on here if you have any more questions.

Joe wrote:
> Scooby a écrit :
> > "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:44f6f0e0$0$26044$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Merv wrotes :
> >>>

> >> Yes, for the LAN (C1) it's 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
> >> Between C1 and C2 it's also 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
> >> And between C1 and C3 it's 10 Mbps Full Duplex.
> >> For C4 (in the future) it will be 100 Mbps Full Duplex.
> >>
> >> That's why I need 4 Ethernet interfaces (RJ45) with all the differents
> >> following modes :
> >> - Autonegociation/10/100 Mbps
> >> - Autosense/Half/Full Duplex
> >> And the possibility to configure each interface as we want ... and to
> >> change it as we will want in the future.
> >>
> >> Thanks again.

> > For your situation, I'd go with an L3 switch (3560), rather than a router. A
> > lot more interfaces available and the performance will be much better.
> > Depending on routing protocol, you may need the enhanced version of the IOS,
> > otherwise the standard should do.
> >

> Are you sure ?
> I think this solution will be impossible for me because I really need
> routing functions : all the sites need to communicate with all the
> others sites through our site (C1), so through this router.

I am looking to buy the below Cisco models.I also buy networking andtelecom equipment from Nortel, Brocade, Juniper, Extreme, Foundry, IBM, HP,Companq and more. network buyer Cisco 1 10-13-2010 09:03 AM
Which router to buy? John Oliver Cisco 9 11-11-2006 11:59 PM
I'm going to buy a laptop.I don't which one to buy srizwanh@gmail.com Computer Support 11 09-16-2005 11:07 PM
ReQ; Help having problem with cisco router 1602R the Lan part works cannot log on to configure so PC can access internet, router connects to T1 line thier is an alarm light on anyone can help smokin@aol.com Computer Support 4 10-30-2004 06:06 AM

Advertisments