Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Any relational database design tool written in Python

Any relational database design tool written in Python

metaperl

Hello,

I am wondering if I overlooked such a tool at freshmeat, sf.net, and
cheeseshop and google. I prefer Python, so that I can patch and
upgrade it. Which also means I prefer opensource over commercial.

I am hoping for something that can create database deltas. I am sort
of divided over the logical versus physical modeling issue.

While I am looking for something fairly graphical like dbSketch or
dbWrench, I am pretty impressed with Django's built-in ORM's ability to
create and update databases.

skip@pobox.com

metaperl> I am hoping for something that can create database deltas.

What is a database delta? I know about SELECT, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE,
joins, normalization, etc, but have never heard this term before.

Skip

Tim Chase

> metaperl> I am hoping for something that can create database deltas.
>
> What is a database delta? I know about SELECT, CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE,
> joins, normalization, etc, but have never heard this term before.

There are two types of database deltas that I know of: metadata
deltas (changes to the structure of the database such as altering
columns in tables, adding/removing tables, altering views/SPs,
changing access-controls, etc) and data deltas (differences in
data when the structures are the same).

A metadata some sort of "diff" between two copies of a database
(say, your "production" and "development" databases), allowing
you to bring your production database up to the point where your
development database is. A data-diff would be about the same as
an incremental backup, allowing you copy new data from one
database to another database with stale/older data on it.

I've written a couple simple database diffing scripts to synch
production database to look like the development database
snapshot. None were complete scripts to synch everything, but
just handled what I needed at the time (usually just altered or
added tables/queries).

-tkc