Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless and wired not talking to one another

Wireless and wired not talking to one another

berkyj@gmail.com

Howdy,

I hope this is the right group to post to but I couldn't find one
closer that would match the problem...

I am having a dilemma involving my wireless access point and my wired
network talking to one another. Let me explain the layout:

__ |---|
|AP|----||---------||---[=switch=]-------|PCs|
|__| |___|

Where:
AP = Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point
Switch = 10/100 Switch
|| = Wall socket
PCs = 2x Win XP boxes, 1x Win 2K3 Server

Basically the wireless AP plugs into a wall point which has a cable run
through the house to another wall point. From there a patch lead plugs
into the switch which has other computers connected to it as well as my
ADSL connection.

If using it in this configuration the lights on the port in the switch
that correspond to the Wireless AP just pulse on and off - there is no
solid connection and therefore no connection to the rest of the
network. I used a basic cable tester to check that all the cables were
working correctly both on their own as well as plugged into the wall
sockets and they are all connected correctly. I then unplugged the
patch lead for the wireless AP from the switch and plugged it directly
into my laptop and voila! was able to successfully ping and talk to it
(even access the web configuration page). I'm assuming at this point
that the wired connection should be fine.

Not convinced (because I plugged it back into the switch and it just
started pulsing again and not connecting to the rest of the network) I
decided to bypass the above wired diagram and drag out a length of
cable that I made up as a straight through cable that would run from
the wireless AP (which is in my roof) to where the switch and other
pc's are located and this way plug directly into the switch minus the
wall sockets. I first plugged it directly into one of the pc's and was,
like the laptop test, able to ping and talk to the wireless AP with no
dramas. I then plugged it into the switch and plugged the pc back into
the switch and was able to still talk to it - so success.

But why? Why does the existing wired network not work the same as this
new temp cable run? Could it be the multiple wall sockets that are
causing the issue? I would really like to use the existing wired
connection rather than string up the temp cable through the house...

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bj

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

Bj,

When you refer to the wall point, are you talking about a powerline network
that runs over your house's electrical wiring, or a preexisting CATV system
in the house?

You might try testing different speed and duplex settings on your switch and
access point. When the lights are blinking, it is probably trying to
autonegotiate speed and/or duplex, and not coming up with a stable setting.
This can often be resolved by disabling autonegotiate, essentially
hard-coding the speed and duplex to 100/full, 10/full, or 10/half. If you
disable autonegotiate on one side of the connection, you should do it on the
other side as well, but different equipment can sometimes behave oddlly, so
it doesn't hurt to experiment with all kinds of combinations of settings.

One thing to keep in mind if you are using powerline is that you essentially
have 3 link partners as opposed to 1 when you run a direct cable across the
house.

Direct cable link partner:
----------------------
1) AP-Switch

Powerline link partners:
----------------------
1) AP-powerline adapter
2) powerline adapter-powerline adapter
3) powerline adapter-switch

Presumably, the powerline adapters should be able to negotiate a link
between themselves pretty well, but if the other two links don't negotiate
exactly the same speed and duplex settings, then there is a mismatch and
either no connection or an unstable connection is established. When you
unplug the switch and plug your laptop in, this changes the link partners
and perhaps they are now able to negotiate the same settings.

Another test you might try is to replace the access point with a laptop and
see if this connects to the switch with no problems.

I hope this helps.

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

no rights.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Howdy,
>
> I hope this is the right group to post to but I couldn't find one
> closer that would match the problem...
>
> I am having a dilemma involving my wireless access point and my wired
> network talking to one another. Let me explain the layout:
>
> __ |---|
> |AP|----||---------||---[=switch=]-------|PCs|
> |__| |___|
>

> Where:
> AP = Linksys WAP54G Wireless Access Point
> Switch = 10/100 Switch
> || = Wall socket
> PCs = 2x Win XP boxes, 1x Win 2K3 Server
>
> Basically the wireless AP plugs into a wall point which has a cable run
> through the house to another wall point. From there a patch lead plugs
> into the switch which has other computers connected to it as well as my
> ADSL connection.
>
> If using it in this configuration the lights on the port in the switch
> that correspond to the Wireless AP just pulse on and off - there is no
> solid connection and therefore no connection to the rest of the
> network. I used a basic cable tester to check that all the cables were
> working correctly both on their own as well as plugged into the wall
> sockets and they are all connected correctly. I then unplugged the
> patch lead for the wireless AP from the switch and plugged it directly
> into my laptop and voila! was able to successfully ping and talk to it
> (even access the web configuration page). I'm assuming at this point
> that the wired connection should be fine.
>
> Not convinced (because I plugged it back into the switch and it just
> started pulsing again and not connecting to the rest of the network) I
> decided to bypass the above wired diagram and drag out a length of
> cable that I made up as a straight through cable that would run from
> the wireless AP (which is in my roof) to where the switch and other
> pc's are located and this way plug directly into the switch minus the
> wall sockets. I first plugged it directly into one of the pc's and was,
> like the laptop test, able to ping and talk to the wireless AP with no
> dramas. I then plugged it into the switch and plugged the pc back into
> the switch and was able to still talk to it - so success.
>
> But why? Why does the existing wired network not work the same as this
> new temp cable run? Could it be the multiple wall sockets that are
> causing the issue? I would really like to use the existing wired
> connection rather than string up the temp cable through the house...
>
> Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Bj

berkyj@gmail.com

G'day Greg,

Thanks for the reply.

The wall point is in reference to a pre-existing Cat5 system with RJ45
jacks and plugs, not the powerline network you mentioned.

I have tried the last test you mentioned and this worked fine. After
posting the initial query I realised the problem may be related to the
Cat5 cabling running through the walls and roof is in too close a
proximity to the house's power cabling. I am planning on investigating
this over the next couple of days. If this is the case what would be
the best form of shielding to place around the Cat5 (rather than
unclipping it all and re-running it)?

The switch in question in my network is unfortunately nothing more than
a glorified hub and as such I have no access to configure individual
ports or anything such as that.

Cheers
Bj

Greg Lindsay [MSFT] wrote:
> [...]
> > decided to bypass the above wired diagram and drag out a length of
> > cable that I made up as a straight through cable that would run from
> > the wireless AP (which is in my roof) to where the switch and other
> > pc's are located and this way plug directly into the switch minus the
> > wall sockets. I first plugged it directly into one of the pc's and was,
> > like the laptop test, able to ping and talk to the wireless AP with no
> > dramas. I then plugged it into the switch and plugged the pc back into
> > the switch and was able to still talk to it - so success.
> >
> > But why? Why does the existing wired network not work the same as this
> > new temp cable run? Could it be the multiple wall sockets that are
> > causing the issue? I would really like to use the existing wired
> > connection rather than string up the temp cable through the house...
> >
> > Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with shielding methods, but I know grounding
everything makes a huge difference.

Good luck!

--
Greg Lindsay [MSFT]