Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Closing one window and opening another

Closing one window and opening another

zilvar@gmail.com

Using Netbeans 5.0, I'm trying to teach myself some Java more
complicated than System.out.println("Hello World.");

I'd like some help figuring out the best way to build a login-style
screen. It seems that I could create a main class and the two forms.
My main could call LoginScreen, which listens for a button press, hides
itself on command ... and this is where I get iffy. I doubt action
listeners can return a value, so I think I need to implement a personal
'yo, successful login' event and wrap that around login in a try/catch
block, which would catch the event and ask the 2nd window to show
itself.

Is that a reasonable implementation of the idea, and if not, some
pointers to whatever I'm missing would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Oliver Wong

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Using Netbeans 5.0, I'm trying to teach myself some Java more
> complicated than System.out.println("Hello World.");
>
> I'd like some help figuring out the best way to build a login-style
> screen. It seems that I could create a main class and the two forms.
> My main could call LoginScreen, which listens for a button press, hides
> itself on command ... and this is where I get iffy. I doubt action
> listeners can return a value, so I think I need to implement a personal
> 'yo, successful login' event and wrap that around login in a try/catch
> block, which would catch the event and ask the 2nd window to show
> itself.
>
> Is that a reasonable implementation of the idea, and if not, some
> pointers to whatever I'm missing would be much appreciated.

Consider using a modal Dialog instead of a Window. A modal Dialog will
not allow execution to continue the the Dialog is closed. Once it has
closed, your code can query about the nature of the closing (did the user
click on "ok" or "cancel"? What are the contents of any textfields on that
Dialog? etc.)

- Oliver

VisionSet

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Using Netbeans 5.0, I'm trying to teach myself some Java more
> complicated than System.out.println("Hello World.");
>
> I'd like some help figuring out the best way to build a login-style
> screen. It seems that I could create a main class and the two forms.
> My main could call LoginScreen, which listens for a button press, hides
> itself on command ... and this is where I get iffy. I doubt action
> listeners can return a value, so I think I need to implement a personal
> 'yo, successful login' event and wrap that around login in a try/catch
> block, which would catch the event and ask the 2nd window to show
> itself.
>
> Is that a reasonable implementation of the idea, and if not, some
> pointers to whatever I'm missing would be much appreciated.

I've done this with a CardLayout presenting the login screen first.
The Login component is a separate class to which I can add a listener for
successful login. This keeps the login screen responsible for displaying
bad login information. You only need a regular ActionListener.
Of course you should have model classes that decouple presentation from
logic and that do the actual validation... If this is anymore than a toy
app.
Oh and remember exception handling is for exceptional conditions.

--
Mike W

Ralf Seitner

> Using Netbeans 5.0, I'm trying to teach myself some Java more
> complicated than System.out.println("Hello World.");
>
> I'd like some help figuring out the best way to build a login-style
> screen. It seems that I could create a main class and the two forms.
> My main could call LoginScreen, which listens for a button press, hides
> itself on command ... and this is where I get iffy. I doubt action
> listeners can return a value, so I think I need to implement a personal
> 'yo, successful login' event and wrap that around login in a try/catch
> block, which would catch the event and ask the 2nd window to show
> itself.
>
> Is that a reasonable implementation of the idea, and if not, some
> pointers to whatever I'm missing would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Hi!
I don't know what you want to do with the try/catch-block.
The first thing which comes to my mind:
I think you can use a method, which performs the login, and returns a
boolean (means: returns whether the login was successful)

You have a button, where an ActionListener listens on ActionEvents.
So... when an action is performed check if login was successful and if
so, close the first window/dialog/frame and open the next one.
But maybe I totally misunderstood you...

This could look like the following ...

public boolean login(String userName, String passWord) {
boolean loginSuccessful = false;
// do something here to check if login is successful and
// do some operations which have to be done if login
// was successful - but only do them, if login is successful.
// if successful set loginSucessful to true.
return loginSuccessful;
}

and then in your ActionListener... (you can realize your implementation
of the ActionListener as an inner class, so you can access on methods
defined in that class...)
boolean loginSuccessful;
if (loginSuccessful) {
loginScreen.setVisible(false);
// probably even: loginScreen.dispose();
JDialog dialogWhichFollowsOnSuccessfulLogin =
createDialogWhichFollowsOnSuccessfulLogin()
dialogWhichComesAfterLogin.setVisible(true);
} else {
// write a message and reset the password-field.
}
}
private void createDialogWhichFollowsOnSuccessfulLogin {
// create the dialog...
}
hth, bye, Ralf