Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Access points on wheels

Access points on wheels

pm@mikest.com

I have two Aironet 1240 APs. One of them is installed in a vehicle,
which also contains several wireless clients. The other AP is
stationary and is connected to a server over a wired LAN.

I need to configure the APs so that the clients inside the vehicle
could talk to each other using the vehicle AP, and talk to the server
when the vehicle comes into the range of the stationary AP.

As far as I could understand setting the vehicle AP into the repeater
mode won't work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is
not in range. Clients inside the vehicle, most likely, will not be
smart enough to abandon the vehicle AP and associate with the
stationary AP instead when they get close to it. Is there anything else
I could do, short of introducing another AP into the vehicle (one to
serve clients, the other to establish a bridge with the stationary AP)?

Thank you.

Nathan Harmon

> I need to configure the APs so that the clients inside the vehicle
> could talk to each other using the vehicle AP, and talk to the server
> when the vehicle comes into the range of the stationary AP.

You could put the clients into an ad-hoc mode and then they would
connect to the server when they came into range of the stationary AP.

If you're using an AP because you need WPA/WEP you could always add an
additional AP to the vehicle and connect the APs via crossover cable.
Then configure the additional AP as a bridge to the stationary AP.

Loren Amelang

On 30 Aug 2006 12:22:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have two Aironet 1240 APs. One of them is installed in a vehicle,
>which also contains several wireless clients. The other AP is
>stationary and is connected to a server over a wired LAN.
>
>I need to configure the APs so that the clients inside the vehicle
>could talk to each other using the vehicle AP, and talk to the server
>when the vehicle comes into the range of the stationary AP.
>
>As far as I could understand setting the vehicle AP into the repeater
>mode won't work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is
>not in range. Clients inside the vehicle, most likely, will not be
>smart enough to abandon the vehicle AP and associate with the
>stationary AP instead when they get close to it. Is there anything else
>I could do, short of introducing another AP into the vehicle (one to
>serve clients, the other to establish a bridge with the stationary AP)?

Do your Aironets not include WDS? My Linksys WRT54G boxes didn't
either, until I put Sveasoft Talisman firmware on them. Now they do
exactly what you want, if I select bridging mode.

I have in fact run one in a vehicle, and been able to seamlessly
handoff from house to car while listening to streaming music on a
notebook (enough data is buffered to cover the handoff time). I can
then drive over to the next hilltop and the Linksys will re-associate
with my home wireless and the music will come back on!

There is also a repeater mode in Talisman, where the remote AP only
bridges from wireless to ethernet and you'd need another AP to accept
clients (but you'd get twice the remote throughput).

When you say "setting the vehicle AP into the repeater mode won't
work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is not in
range", could this be a DHCP issue? I typically turn off DHCP in all
the wireless boxes, and let my home internet router hand out
addresses. This of course fails if I turn on a DHCP computer while
there is no path to home, but it makes handoffs from one wireless AP
to the other much faster and simpler.

My solution is that computers that get turned on away from home get
configured with an "automatic private address" on my private LAN,
instead of the usual 169.254 apa. That way they still use DHCP if I
connect to someone else's LAN with a DHCP server, but work on any part
of mine even if they can't see the home router.

Hope this stimulates your thinking...

Loren

pm@mikest.com

Nathan Harmon wrote:
> If you're using an AP because you need WPA/WEP you could always add an
> additional AP to the vehicle and connect the APs via crossover cable.
> Then configure the additional AP as a bridge to the stationary AP.

This is exactly what I'm going to try as soon as the units arrive.
Thank you for supporting my reasoning.

pm@mikest.com

Loren Amelang wrote:
> Do your Aironets not include WDS? My Linksys WRT54G boxes didn't
> either, until I put Sveasoft Talisman firmware on them. Now they do
> exactly what you want, if I select bridging mode.

Linksys is a completely different beast. Sveasoft people are writing
code with the only goal of cramming as much good stuff in there as
possible. Cisco, on the other hand, is very restrictive about the
possible uses of their devices (most likely, due to marketing reasons).
When set up as a repeater, Aironet needs to associate with a root, and
only then it will accept clients. When set up as a bridge, Aironet will
only talk to another access point.

I can't use Linksys devices due to environmental and management
considerations.

Merv

What are the wireless client devices in the vehicle ?

Are they manned PC's or some form of automated equipment ?

OS, and device hardware info would be useful

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have two Aironet 1240 APs. One of them is installed in a vehicle,
> which also contains several wireless clients. The other AP is
> stationary and is connected to a server over a wired LAN.
>
> I need to configure the APs so that the clients inside the vehicle
> could talk to each other using the vehicle AP, and talk to the server
> when the vehicle comes into the range of the stationary AP.

> As far as I could understand setting the vehicle AP into the repeater
> mode won't work, because it won't accept clients when the root AP is
> not in range. Clients inside the vehicle, most likely, will not be
> smart enough to abandon the vehicle AP and associate with the
> stationary AP instead when they get close to it. Is there anything else
> I could do, short of introducing another AP into the vehicle (one to
> serve clients, the other to establish a bridge with the stationary AP)?

I /think/ that the Cisco access points differ from the consumer grade
ones
in one respect that may be useful here.

They can be configured to have multiple SSIDs. If the APs are
to remain in the vehicle I would fancy configuring the mobile AP to
have two SSIDs, one for the mobile PCs to connect to
and one for an AP to AP bridge.

You may of course find that just using the two APs as seperate
devices with some sort of roaming will work fine.

alt.internet.wireless has a lot of expertise and experience in this
field.