Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Anyone know how to Analyze "crashinfo" files from Cisco access points?

Anyone know how to Analyze "crashinfo" files from Cisco access points?

Merv

For 12.3(JA2, take a close look at CSCsb00606

You might be better to drop back to 12.3(7)JA3 on the troubled unit.

Also note that the first maintenance release usually gets deferred (
read junked):

12.3.8-JA2

12.3.7-JA3
12.3.7-JA2
12.3.7-JA1

12.3.4-JA2
12.3.4-JA1
12.3.4-JA

12.3.2-JA6
12.3.2-JA5
12.3.2-JA2

I normally like to wait for the third or fourth maintenenace release
depending on the technology.

Sylvain Robitaille

Merv wrote:

> For 12.3(JA2, take a close look at CSCsb00606

Hrmmm... Thanks for that.

> You might be better to drop back to 12.3(7)JA3 on the troubled unit.

Will have a look. Thanks again.

Sylvain Robitaille http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Merv wrote:
> For 12.3(JA2, take a close look at CSCsb00606
>
> You might be better to drop back to 12.3(7)JA3 on the troubled unit.
>
> Also note that the first maintenance release usually gets deferred (
> read junked):
>
> 12.3.8-JA2
>
> 12.3.7-JA3
> 12.3.7-JA2
> 12.3.7-JA1
>
> 12.3.4-JA2
> 12.3.4-JA1
> 12.3.4-JA
>
> 12.3.2-JA6
> 12.3.2-JA5
> 12.3.2-JA2
>
> I normally like to wait for the third or fourth maintenenace release
> depending on the technology.

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, do you mean for
example 12.3.2-JA4 is the fourth maint. rel?

I am sure that Merv has more Cisco experience than I have
however, I do not like the idea of what amount to unplanned
releases. ...JAx where x = 1, 2, 3, ... are I understand
fixes that are applied to software that is supposed to be working.

I fancy releases that do not need so much fixing.
12.3.2-JA6 just makes my skin crawl.

As I say this is only a wild guess with absolutely
no evidence either way. I just feel that it looks like a Friday
afternoon product. Maybe it can be fixed, but why not just
stay away if that is an option?

Merv

Well in the "old days" before IOS version "trains" the number in
between the ( ) was the maintenance release - things were much simpler
than.

12.3JA is known as a STED - specific technology early deployment
release - and as far as I can tell the number after the JA sure looks
and feels like a maintenance as one can tell by looking carefully at
the release notes.

Aaron Leonard

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:51:39 +0000 (UTC), Sylvain Robitaille <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

~ Merv wrote:
~
~ > For 12.3(JA2, take a close look at CSCsb00606
~
~ Hrmmm... Thanks for that.

CSCsb00606 was actually filed against 12.3(2)JA. It doesn't look like
anything's happened with that one in a year. I don't suppose it would
pertain to current IOS.

~ > You might be better to drop back to 12.3(7)JA3 on the troubled unit.
~
~ Will have a look. Thanks again.

Both 12.3(7)JA3 and 12.3(JA2 are good solid releases. Btw, we just
posted 12.3(JEA today, if you really want to run the latest and
greatest.

That said, it's not clear to me (after scanning known bugs) whether
the condition you encountered that triggered the radio failure is going
to be addressed by upgrading software.

Regards,

Aaron

Martyn Thompson

Merv wrote:

> Well in the "old days" before IOS version "trains" the number in
> between the ( ) was the maintenance release - things were much simpler
> than.
>
> 12.3JA is known as a STED - specific technology early deployment
> release - and as far as I can tell the number after the JA sure looks
> and feels like a maintenance as one can tell by looking carefully at
> the release notes.

To original question - try this website. I know the proprietor is on
holiday from Monday for a couple of weeks but might respond after this.

www.net2netsolutions.co.uk

All the best,

Martyn (you can tell him I advised you contact him if you like!).

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Merv wrote:
> Well in the "old days" before IOS version "trains" the number in
> between the ( ) was the maintenance release - things were much simpler
> than.
>
> 12.3JA is known as a STED - specific technology early deployment
> release - and as far as I can tell the number after the JA sure looks
> and feels like a maintenance as one can tell by looking carefully at
> the release notes.

I think that it is like this:-

a.b(cx)JAy

JA tells us that it is a special (required for for many purposes)
Avoid specials of you can
These releases are based on a mainstream release
in this case a.b(cx).

a - Major release
b - Minor release
(c) - Maintenance release - in some trains can contain new features
x - Re-release of a.b(c) [On which JA is based]
y - Re-release of a.b(c)JA - changes not affecting base a.b(c)

x is always a lower case letter
y is always a number

As I say, I worry about re-releases but have no direct IOS derived
evidence on which to base it.

Merv

Those releases as you call them are maintenance release pure and
simple.

Look at the release notes for 12.3(JA2 and you will see that DDTS
listed that are resolved between it and the previosu release.

Sylvain Robitaille

Aaron Leonard wrote:

> Both 12.3(7)JA3 and 12.3(JA2 are good solid releases.

In my experience, that's also been true of 12.3(JA, save for a small
number of units that have been acting up (the one we're discussing here
that failed only recently, and a couple of others that have been acting
up since before the upgrade to 12.3(JA).

> Btw, we just posted 12.3(JEA today, if you really want to run the
> latest and greatest.

No, I'm more interested in running the same version across all our access
points. Only when it becomes necessary to upgrade (due to serious bugs,
or specific new features, or as I did earlier this year, to bring all
our units up to the same version) do I start looking at upgrading to
the most current version (or ${most_current}-1, if ${most_current}
hasn't been around long enough to get a bit of a shakedown).

> That said, it's not clear to me (after scanning known bugs) whether
> the condition you encountered that triggered the radio failure is going
> to be addressed by upgrading software.

You're probably right. We've started discussing replacing that unit
with a newer (AP1200) one. That's very likely what I'll do.

Sylvain Robitaille (E-Mail Removed)