Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for domain with single-page free hosting.

Looking for domain with single-page free hosting.

Ed Mullen

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> dorayme wrote:

>>> mm... good point... I vaguely wondered about this when I
>>> registered a personal website... I have webspace coming out of my
>>> ears via my broadband isp, via compliant friends who never need
>>> their free allotment, etc. And yet I coughed up for hosting just
>>> for it with a company (different to my isp). True, not much, 40
>>> miserable downunder buckeroos. I use the free webspace elsewhere
>>> to supplement the miserable 10MB that comes for the 40 to make
>>> for respectable elbow room but... it seems that this scurrilous
>>> cheapskate cadging strategy of mine is not quite as low as I can
>>> get eh? Might have to look into it. What do you do, ask the
>>> registrar of the domain to point it to where I want? Perhaps the
>>> downside - I think as I type, sorry - is the domain url changes
>>> in the browser url field of the website user? mm... might be
>>> worth the 40 after all to avoid this...
>>>

>> Your domain company should have a "control panel" or some such online
>> tool for you to manage your domain. It is there that you can setup
>> email addresses, sub-domains (see links below), and redirection.
>>
>> My ISP (Comcast) subscription gives me 7 email addresses each of which
>> has 25 Mb of Web page storage space. My main domain name (edmullen.net)
>> simply redirects to one or more of my Comcast Web spaces. You can set
>> up the redirection as either URL Redirect (where the actual URL of the
>> final destination is shown to the user) or URL Frame (where only the
>> domain name is shown, not the actual URL, path or page.
>>

> OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
> domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
says:

http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html

The actually land on:

http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html

A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
Redirect, when they click on a link like:

http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html

their location bar might simply say:

http://mozilla.edmullen.net

no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
correctly bookmark the page.

Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
> > domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

> Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
> info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
> is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
> With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
> real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
> that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
> says:
>
> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
>
> The actually land on:
>
> http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html
>
> A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
> their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
> Redirect, when they click on a link like:
>
> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
>
> their location bar might simply say:
>
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
>
> no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
> correctly bookmark the page.
>
> Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!

--
dorayme

Ed Mullen

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
>>> domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

>> Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
>> info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
>> is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
>> With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
>> real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
>> that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
>> says:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
>>
>> The actually land on:
>>
>> http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html
>>
>> A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
>> their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
>> Redirect, when they click on a link like:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
>>
>> their location bar might simply say:
>>
>> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
>>
>> no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
>> correctly bookmark the page.
>>
>> Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

> Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!

I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
touted here simply are not options for many folk.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!
> >

> I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
> paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
> consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
> space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
> touted here simply are not options for many folk.

I get the uncanny feeling of us talking over slightly crossed
wires... but this may be because I am hazy on some of these
things. What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
problem as I piggy back files from other servers... I also have
my own ISP for my broadband connection and I get 10MB there too.
This is a totally different server and the webspace is free. In
addition I have access to all sorts of webspace courtesy of
friends and orgs that do not use all theirs. (Why hell, I even
have a free dorayme one that I don't use any more because it has
ads, is awful generally and it irritated Korpela once, I actually
don't blame him, it irritated me.)

I am seeing this advantage for me to keep it:

When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.
That is worth 40 bucks.

One of the sites I maintain is a site for a teaching organization
and it is pointed in some way to a local University server now,
but it acquires (rather confusedly for most people, not me) the
uni server address. You type in something like www.teaching.org
and you then get the sort of tricky little play in the url bar
that had it been done by any poker player across the table would
result in him losing his hand, (yes, his paw) by an enraged me.
It acquires the uni server address www.uni.com.au/arts/blah blah
instead of what the user types in.

--
dorayme

Ed Mullen

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!
>>>

>> I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
>> paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
>> consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
>> space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
>> touted here simply are not options for many folk.

> I get the uncanny feeling of us talking over slightly crossed
> wires... but this may be because I am hazy on some of these
> things. What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
> it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
> PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
> miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
> problem as I piggy back files from other servers... I also have
> my own ISP for my broadband connection and I get 10MB there too.
> This is a totally different server and the webspace is free. In
> addition I have access to all sorts of webspace courtesy of
> friends and orgs that do not use all theirs. (Why hell, I even
> have a free dorayme one that I don't use any more because it has
> ads, is awful generally and it irritated Korpela once, I actually
> don't blame him, it irritated me.)
>
> I am seeing this advantage for me to keep it:
>
> When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
> true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.
> That is worth 40 bucks.
>
> One of the sites I maintain is a site for a teaching organization
> and it is pointed in some way to a local University server now,
> but it acquires (rather confusedly for most people, not me) the
> uni server address. You type in something like www.teaching.org
> and you then get the sort of tricky little play in the url bar
> that had it been done by any poker player across the table would
> result in him losing his hand, (yes, his paw) by an enraged me.
> It acquires the uni server address www.uni.com.au/arts/blah blah
> instead of what the user types in.

Unless I'm missing it, we're saying the same thing, vis-a-vis the domain
stuff. But, hey, it's 1:20AM here and I'm off to bed since the chance
of my saying anything moderately coherent now is pretty slim.

Oh, crap. I lost my cell phone! Wait ... I'll call it from my home
phone ... oh! Yep, I hear it ringing out on the deck ... ok. All's
right with the world. Sorta. Manana.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing it, we're saying the same thing, vis-a-vis the domain
> stuff. But, hey, it's 1:20AM here and I'm off to bed since the chance
> of my saying anything moderately coherent now is pretty slim.

Sleep well Ed! Now, who can I play with that is up and awake?

--
dorayme

David Segall

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
>it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
>PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
>miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
>problem as I piggy back files from other servers...
>
>When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
>true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.

Are you saying that when a browser arrives at one of your pages on a
server (friendsdomain.com) where you have borrowed some space the URL
displayed in the browser is still mydomain.com.au/somepage.html? How
do you do that?

El Cheapo

Instead of wasting your time on these free services, you could better pay
for a decent solution (Most of the time it's crap!)
Prices are low these days, and you will get quality, speed and availability.

A good starting point with today's big competitors can be found on
http://hosting.woohoow.net

"Ed Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to buy a domain and then have hosted a single,
>> 2000-byte or less page that I provide, for free.
>> I recall that there used to be such a thing in existence.
>> I basically want to set up a custom domain masking
>> situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
>> options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
>>
>> Is there such a service available today?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I may be missing something but you already have what you want through your
> ISP, Comcast. It's called Personal Web Pages. Once you register a domain
> name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page.
>
> --
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net
> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
> http://abington.edmullen.net
> How come abbreviated is such a long word?

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Segall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
> >it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
> >PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
> >miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
> >problem as I piggy back files from other servers...
> >
> >When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
> >true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.

> Are you saying that when a browser arrives at one of your pages on a
> server (friendsdomain.com) where you have borrowed some space the URL
> displayed in the browser is still mydomain.com.au/somepage.html? How
> do you do that?

Nothing, David, as complicated as you are imagining by my phrase
"piggy back". If a set of pics, for example, takes up a lot of
space, I keep them on wherever is convenient. The HTMLs load from
my server and so the address is my domain address and
/wherevertheHTMLis.

I mostly don't let browsers go anywhere else. In fact I have a
secret technique to capture people within my domain, where I
torture them with loquacious jocularity.

--
dorayme

earonesty@gmail.com

> situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
> options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
>
> Is there such a service available today?

www.hostadfree.org tests and lists free hosting providers that don't
force ads