Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless not working

Wireless not working

=?Utf-8?B?U29jY3JTdHIzNw==?=

I recently reinstalled my windows xp due to multiple problems. I have
wireless capabilities, but it is not showing up in my network connections and
I am not sure how to turn on the wireless network. The wireless network I
had been using before the reinstallation is not being recognized by my
computer and need to now how to turn on my wireless capabilities??? Thanks.

Malke

SoccrStr37 wrote:

> I recently reinstalled my windows xp due to multiple problems. I have
> wireless capabilities, but it is not showing up in my network
> connections and
> I am not sure how to turn on the wireless network. The wireless
> network I had been using before the reinstallation is not being
> recognized by my computer and need to now how to turn on my wireless
> capabilities??? Thanks.

After you install an operating system, you must then install drivers for
all your hardware - motherboard, audio, video, and in your case the
wireless network adapter. Did you do this? If not, that is why your
wireless isn't working.

Get drivers from:

1. The device mftr.'s website; OR
2. The motherboard mftr.'s website if hardware is onboard; OR
3. The OEM's website for your specific machine if you have an OEM
computer (HP, Dell, Sony, etc.).

Read the installation instructions on the website where you get the
drivers.

To find out what hardware is in your computer:

1. Read any documentation you got when you bought the computer.
2. If the computer is OEM, go to the OEM's website for your specific
model machine and look at the specs (you'll be there to get the drivers
anyway)
3. Download, install and run a free system inventory program like Belarc
Advisor. The older Aida32 is good for this, too.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html - Belarc Advisor
http://www.aumha.org/free.htm - Aida32 (hosted on Jim Eshelman's site)

Malke
--