Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Zero Configuration

Wireless Zero Configuration

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?=

I have been looking through the posts about wireless zero, and i'm sorry if
this is a duplicate. Every time I boot, I am having to manually turn on my
wireless zero configuration and then choose "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" before I can have internet access. Some posts
have said to turn off the Wireless Zero, and some have said to turn off my
router's WLAN utility or something to that effect. Since the Wireless Zero
is apparently off when I turn on my computer, I suspect that I need to try to
disable the other. Any ideas how to do this? I appreciate it in advance.

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 30-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since the Wireless Zero
> is apparently off when I turn on my computer, I suspect that I need to try to
> disable the other. Any ideas how to do this? I appreciate it in advance.

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Should show Wireless Zero Config as a service and how it is started,
with the option to change the setting.
Auto start, Manual Start, Start on first useage, Disable.
You need to be Administrator, not restricted user.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been looking through the posts about wireless zero, and
> i'm sorry if this is a duplicate. Every time I boot, I am
> having to manually turn on my wireless zero configuration and
> then choose "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> settings" before I can have internet access. Some posts have
> said to turn off the Wireless Zero, and some have said to turn
> off my router's WLAN utility or something to that effect. Since
> the Wireless Zero is apparently off when I turn on my computer,
> I suspect that I need to try to disable the other. Any ideas
> how to do this? I appreciate it in advance.

This usually means that the configuration utility supplied by the
wireless interface card manufacturer is grabbing control and
disabling Windows' WZC.

You can *usually* tell the offending utility to let Windows manage
the wireless interface. Failing that, look for said utility being
started up with Windows and disable it.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?=

Thank you for your reply. How do I disable the nic utility? is it a startup
or services option in msconfig?

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have been looking through the posts about wireless zero, and
> > i'm sorry if this is a duplicate. Every time I boot, I am
> > having to manually turn on my wireless zero configuration and
> > then choose "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
> > settings" before I can have internet access. Some posts have
> > said to turn off the Wireless Zero, and some have said to turn
> > off my router's WLAN utility or something to that effect. Since
> > the Wireless Zero is apparently off when I turn on my computer,
> > I suspect that I need to try to disable the other. Any ideas
> > how to do this? I appreciate it in advance.

> This usually means that the configuration utility supplied by the
> wireless interface card manufacturer is grabbing control and
> disabling Windows' WZC.
>
> You can *usually* tell the offending utility to let Windows manage
> the wireless interface. Failing that, look for said utility being
> started up with Windows and disable it.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Depends on the make, but probably in MSCONFIG. Also look for an
option in the utility itself.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thank you for your reply. How do I disable the nic utility? is
> it a startup or services option in msconfig?
>
> "Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote:
>
>> =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I have been looking through the posts about wireless zero,
>> > and i'm sorry if this is a duplicate. Every time I boot, I
>> > am having to manually turn on my wireless zero configuration
>> > and then choose "Use Windows to configure my wireless network
>> > settings" before I can have internet access. Some posts have
>> > said to turn off the Wireless Zero, and some have said to
>> > turn off my router's WLAN utility or something to that
>> > effect. Since the Wireless Zero is apparently off when I
>> > turn on my computer, I suspect that I need to try to disable
>> > the other. Any ideas how to do this? I appreciate it in
>> > advance.

>> This usually means that the configuration utility supplied by
>> the wireless interface card manufacturer is grabbing control
>> and disabling Windows' WZC.
>>
>> You can *usually* tell the offending utility to let Windows
>> manage the wireless interface. Failing that, look for said
>> utility being started up with Windows and disable it.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?=

When you say "in the utility", are u referring to the device manager?

"Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote:

> Depends on the make, but probably in MSCONFIG. Also look for an
> option in the utility itself.
>
> =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Thank you for your reply. How do I disable the nic utility? is
> > it a startup or services option in msconfig?
> >
> > "Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote:
> >
> >> =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> This usually means that the configuration utility supplied by
> >> the wireless interface card manufacturer is grabbing control
> >> and disabling Windows' WZC.
> >>
> >> You can *usually* tell the offending utility to let Windows
> >> manage the wireless interface. Failing that, look for said
> >> utility being started up with Windows and disable it.

Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

The manufacturer's config utility will typically have an entry in
the All Programs menu, as well as a tray icon - either will run the
utility to enable you to set up connections etc.

=?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> When you say "in the utility", are u referring to the device
> manager?
>
> "Frazer Jolly Goodfellow" wrote:
>
>> Depends on the make, but probably in MSCONFIG. Also look for an
>> option in the utility itself.
>>
>> =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Thank you for your reply. How do I disable the nic utility?
>> > is it a startup or services option in msconfig?

Robert33644 Robert33644 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?UnVzaA==?=
I have been looking through the posts about wireless zero, and i'm sorry if
this is a duplicate. Every time I boot, I am having to manually turn on my
wireless zero configuration and then choose "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings" before I can have internet access. Some posts
have said to turn off the Wireless Zero, and some have said to turn off my
router's WLAN utility or something to that effect. Since the Wireless Zero
is apparently off when I turn on my computer, I suspect that I need to try to
disable the other. Any ideas how to do this? I appreciate it in advance.

The same thing was happening to me and it cost me $100 to have a tech guy fix it. So here it is.. after re starting Zero configuration again.. go to START then to ALL PROGRAMS then find your wireless card..( wireless utilities).. I have a gateway laptop with XP.. so I have a BROADCOM WIRELESS.. go to its UTILITIES....UNCHECK.. the box that says.. LET THIS TOOL MANAGE MY WIRELESS CONNECTIONS.... press apply and ok.. you shold be go to .. $100 over a little box.. DAMMMM..