Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voip adapter

Voip adapter

Hana

Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
newsgroup?
Thanks
Ivor: Sorry for top posting, I didn't know the right way to post in
these groups, hopefully I'll get it right from now on.

Graham

> Sorry for an off topic question, but I've downloaded Agent newsreader
> to try it and it asks for the name of the news server, I entered
> uk.telecom.voip but that doesn't work. ( Yes, I know it's a stupid
> question ) but what name do I put down for the server for this
> newsgroup?
> Thanks

I think your ISP is BT Openworld or BT Internet so you probably have access

news.btinternet.com

Try that as the server name and you should be able to download a list
of thousands of groups, and you can select the ones that you want to
"subscribe" to.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:35:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Anyway, the words pot, kettle and black spring to mind
> > when thinking of ranting/raving and you.

> One needs to rant and rave when it comes to a certain
> FOREIGN service provider .

Ah, you never let us down, do you Ron..?!

Ivor

Hana

Ivor: I have one question for you about the Fritzbox.
Is it possible to use the Fritzbox Fon ata using an existing router and
ADSL modem ?

Thanks

Ivor Jones

"Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> Ivor: I have one question for you about the Fritzbox.
> Is it possible to use the Fritzbox Fon ata using an
> existing router and ADSL modem ?
>
> Thanks

Assuming you are talking about the plain ATA, yes. Most models have a
built in ADSL modem and router, which although they can be disabled, does
make it rather pointless..!

Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of Service) with an ATA
into a separate router. This could have an impact on call quality if a
heavy download or similar is taking place at the same time.

My advice is to go for the all-in-one device, you can always do what I did
and keep your existing modem/router as a spare in case of failure.

Ivor

Brian A

On 30 Aug 2006 08:51:04 -0700, "Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a newsreader?
>
>Are there any other free good ones?

Yes, as in my previous post...
Here is the download page for Thunderbird and other Mozilla products.
http://www.mozilla.org/download.html
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

paul123

Brian A wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2006 08:51:04 -0700, "Hana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I use Outlook for my emails, does this also act as a newsreader?
> >
> >Are there any other free good ones?

> Yes, as in my previous post...
> Here is the download page for Thunderbird and other Mozilla products.
> http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

The Opera browser has a newsreader. It's also free.
www.opera.com

alexd

Ivor Jones wrote:

> Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of Service) with an ATA
> into a separate router. This could have an impact on call quality if a
> heavy download or similar is taking place at the same time.

If your separate router has configurable QoS, then you will.

17:33:49 up 5 days, 1:38, 2 users, load average: 1.62, 1.00, 0.85
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Ivor Jones

"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>
> > Be aware though that you won't get QoS (Quality of
> > Service) with an ATA into a separate router. This could
> > have an impact on call quality if a heavy download or
> > similar is taking place at the same time.

> If your separate router has configurable QoS, then you
> will.

True enough, but the majority don't.

Ivor