Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Basic LocalDirector question

Basic LocalDirector question

SS

Hi there,
I hope this is a basic question for those of you familiar with
localdirectors.

I have two virtual servers each bound to the same two real servers for ports
80 and 443.
From a workstation, I can connect to the virtual servers seemingly without
any problems. However, when I get onto the console of any one of the real
servers and try to browse or telnet to port 80 on one of the virtual
servers, it seems to connect only about 30% of the time. ICMP is disabled
for the localdirector, and I have no special settings on the real server's
NICs. They are using properties (DNS, gateway, etc) as assigned by DHCP.
Each real server has only one NIC. The virtual servers and the real servers
are set up in DNS with A records.

Any idea why I'm having these intermittent problems connecting to a virtual
server from one of the member (real) servers? I had a feeling this had
something to do with a masquerading issue -- that the real server's response
wasn't going back through the local director and thus wasn't appearing as if
it came from the virtual server. I just don't know where to go from here
(how to verify or further troubleshoot).

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks very much for any help,
Steve

Wil Schultz

The Local Director cannot direct traffic that does not pass through the
device. If you are on the inside and try to go to the VIP it will try to
redirect off the same interface, which won't work. Traffic must travel
from the outside interface, through the LD, and out the inside
interface. Well, it doesn't really matter which is the inside interface
and which is the outside interface, as long as traffic doesn't come and
go off the same interface. You get the idea...

Wil
my 3

"When everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something."

SS wrote:
> Hi there,
> I hope this is a basic question for those of you familiar with
> localdirectors.
>
> I have two virtual servers each bound to the same two real servers for ports
> 80 and 443.
> From a workstation, I can connect to the virtual servers seemingly without
> any problems. However, when I get onto the console of any one of the real
> servers and try to browse or telnet to port 80 on one of the virtual
> servers, it seems to connect only about 30% of the time. ICMP is disabled
> for the localdirector, and I have no special settings on the real server's
> NICs. They are using properties (DNS, gateway, etc) as assigned by DHCP.
> Each real server has only one NIC. The virtual servers and the real servers
> are set up in DNS with A records.
>
> Any idea why I'm having these intermittent problems connecting to a virtual
> server from one of the member (real) servers? I had a feeling this had
> something to do with a masquerading issue -- that the real server's response
> wasn't going back through the local director and thus wasn't appearing as if
> it came from the virtual server. I just don't know where to go from here
> (how to verify or further troubleshoot).
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks very much for any help,
> Steve

Need password recovery util for LocalDirector 430 UP1000 Dude Cisco 0 03-22-2006 06:53 AM
LocalDirector 430 and subnets Lech =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Rychli=F1ski?= Cisco 0 09-28-2005 03:18 PM
Cisco LocalDirector Prasad Cisco 0 01-27-2004 03:10 PM
Problem with Cisco LocalDirector Dean Johnson Cisco 1 12-10-2003 01:39 AM
localdirector 416 configuration moss Cisco 0 07-15-2003 07:26 PM

Advertisments