Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL visualiser

VHDL visualiser

Rick North

Hi All,

I have found HDL analyst from Synplify to be very help full when
debugging or trying to understand a larger design. It is simple to
filter paths and so forth. I have glanced at ISE which has a similar
viewer but not as well developed as HDL Analyst (my opinion). ModelSim
has a viewer as well but rather bulky.

Does there exist any other vhdl viewer which I have missed?

Regards,
R N

Mike Treseler

Rick North wrote:

I like the Quartus RTL viewer
because I can open it without a full
compile and it does a good job
collecting buses, muxes and
sequential blocks.

-- Mike Treseler

Rick North

I will try it, one draw back which is rather ugly with HDL Analyst is
that it does not handle records well. It simply states the name of the
record with the number of signals listed from 0 to 240 for example. So
the record elements names are not preserved.

type My_Record_Type is
record
answer : unsigned(7 downto 0);
status : unsigned(2 downto 0);
last_post : unsigned(3 downto 0);
index : unsigned(1 downto 0);
strobe : bit;
end record;

would look like my_record(17 downto 0) stripped from the names inside.
Even more horrible if one has several records with in one record.

Mike Treseler skrev:

> Rick North wrote:
>
> I like the Quartus RTL viewer
> because I can open it without a full
> compile and it does a good job
> collecting buses, muxes and
> sequential blocks.
>

> -- Mike Treseler

chriskoh

Hi Rick,
If you are just looking for a visual schematic, the best tool i have
known so far is debussy from novas. very cool tool. do try it.

Chris

Sonic Visualiser patt Computer Support 2 01-24-2009 08:51 AM
VHDL 2002 vs VHDL 1993 dude VHDL 1 03-23-2006 01:18 PM
multiD-vhdl: Multi Dimensional Arrays (allowing generics on each dimension) for VHDL (including ports) albert.neu@gmail.com VHDL 2 03-21-2006 04:05 PM
what's the difference between VHDL 93 CONCATENATION and VHDL 87 CONCATENATION? walala VHDL 3 09-18-2003 04:17 AM

Advertisments