Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Traffic Shaping / Priority

Traffic Shaping / Priority

Kevin

Hi,

I want to enable traffic shaping with per packet priorities on an
interface...

I want to enable GTS (Global Traffic Shaping) on an interface, I'm aware
that it will also enable WFQ (Weighted Fear Queueing) for that interface.

Will I be able to select which packets will have higher priority above
others in that WFQ ?

Will I be able to assign a weight to certain packets regarding criteria ?

If yes how ?

Thanks !

Walter Roberson

In article <41c07843$0$16927$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Kevin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I want to enable traffic shaping with per packet priorities on an
:interface...

:I want to enable GTS (Global Traffic Shaping) on an interface, I'm aware
:that it will also enable WFQ (Weighted Fear Queueing) for that interface.

:Will I be able to select which packets will have higher priority above
thers in that WFQ ?

It depends upon the device and the software version. What you
want to look at is the 'classifer' stage of QoS. Some cisco devices
can only prioritize based upon the IP ToS field (0-7). Some
can do that and can also prioritize based upon a Differentiated Code
Point value passed to them by a different device that has already
done the classification. Some devices have extensive classification
features.

:Will I be able to assign a weight to certain packets regarding criteria ?

As I indicated above, it depends on what your criteria is. You
might, for example, be fine if your criteria is "packet belongs to
VLAN 6", but the same device might not be able to handle,
"packet has a source IP address matching subnet X with mask Y
and the packet is an ICMP packet and the ICMP type is echo-reply".
[That might be an example of something you want to classify as
low priority.]
--
Admit it -- you peeked ahead to find out how this message ends!