I added a link for the java plugin to my
~/firefox/plugins directory using :-
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Now when I use to Firefox to look at www.adslguide.org
it just shuts-down the browser. Other sites seem to be
ok. I was going to use ADSLGuide's Speed Test just to
check my Java was working. If I remove the link it all
works fine again (obviously not Java sites).

I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.6 under Mandriva 2005LE. Where
do I go looking for any hint of what's going on?

Regards,
Andy J.

gwtc

Andy J. wrote:
> OK,
>
> I installed Java (JRE 1-5-0-0, that seems to
> be installed ok.
> Following the instructions on the Firefox web-site
> I added a link for the java plugin to my
> ~/firefox/plugins directory using :-
> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_08/plugin/i386/ns7-gcc29/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> Now when I use to Firefox to look at www.adslguide.org
> it just shuts-down the browser. Other sites seem to be
> ok. I was going to use ADSLGuide's Speed Test just to
> check my Java was working. If I remove the link it all
> works fine again (obviously not Java sites).
>
> I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.6 under Mandriva 2005LE. Where
> do I go looking for any hint of what's going on?
>
> Regards,
> Andy J.

in the address bar type in aboutlugins and see if the java files are
there. There's about 6 or 7 of them, it might be different under
linux. If they are there, check under Tools, Options, Content, and
make sure that Java is checked. If it is then go here and see if the
java works: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml. If not,
then there's some instructions on that page on what to do to get it
working.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a
few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use
a timer.

Andy J.

gwtc wrote:

> in the address bar type in aboutlugins and see if the java files are
> there. There's about 6 or 7 of them, it might be different under
> linux. If they are there, check under Tools, Options, Content, and make
> sure that Java is checked. If it is then go here and see if the java
> works: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml. If not, then
> there's some instructions on that page on what to do to get it working.

Thanks gwtc. There was no specific answer but I figured it out by
reading some of the other FAQ's on that page. Most of the instructions
refer to Mozilla and either pre ver1.2 or post ver1.4
It seems that for Firefox you read as post ver1.4 in which case I
needed the library under the ns7 directory and not (as the original
instructions suggested) the one under the ns7-gcc directory.

Thanks again,

Andy.