Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > How hard is it to embed xml in an html page

Reply
Thread Tools

How hard is it to embed xml in an html page

 
 
jalexa9898
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2006
I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
embed it in some html is this hard to do?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Martin Honnen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2006


jalexa9898 wrote:

> I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
> embed it in some html is this hard to do?


HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
something more suitable for web browsers.


--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jalexa9898
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
What if your programming in flex
Martin Honnen wrote:
> jalexa9898 wrote:
>
> > I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
> > embed it in some html is this hard to do?

>
> HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
> any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
> browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
> with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
> or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
> in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
> might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
> you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
> something more suitable for web browsers.
>
>
> --
>
> Martin Honnen
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Flynn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006
jalexa9898 wrote:
> What if your programming in flex


Code is just code. The language is not significant. Provided you escape
< and & as &lt; and &amp; you can just use the <pre> element to hold
the code for display.

If you want the XML to be *interpreted* by the browser as XML, that's
an entirely different question, which Martin has already answered. But
in that case it's XML, not Flex. Browsers won't do anything with flex
code (except ignore it).

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

> Martin Honnen wrote:
>> jalexa9898 wrote:
>>
>>> I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
>>> embed it in some html is this hard to do?

>> HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
>> any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
>> browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
>> with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
>> or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
>> in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
>> might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
>> you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
>> something more suitable for web browsers.
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Martin Honnen
>> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
jalexa9898
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006
But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then
Peter Flynn wrote:
> jalexa9898 wrote:
> > What if your programming in flex

>
> Code is just code. The language is not significant. Provided you escape
> < and & as &lt; and &amp; you can just use the <pre> element to hold
> the code for display.
>
> If you want the XML to be *interpreted* by the browser as XML, that's
> an entirely different question, which Martin has already answered. But
> in that case it's XML, not Flex. Browsers won't do anything with flex
> code (except ignore it).
>
> ///Peter
> --
> XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
>
> > Martin Honnen wrote:
> >> jalexa9898 wrote:
> >>
> >>> I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
> >>> embed it in some html is this hard to do?
> >> HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
> >> any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
> >> browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
> >> with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
> >> or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
> >> in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
> >> might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
> >> you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
> >> something more suitable for web browsers.
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Martin Honnen
> >> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Flynn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2006
jalexa9898 wrote:
> But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then


Wouldn't what read what? Can you be a bit more specific about what you
want to do, then maybe we can help you.

///Peter

> Peter Flynn wrote:
>> jalexa9898 wrote:
>>> What if your programming in flex

>> Code is just code. The language is not significant. Provided you escape
>> < and & as &lt; and &amp; you can just use the <pre> element to hold
>> the code for display.
>>
>> If you want the XML to be *interpreted* by the browser as XML, that's
>> an entirely different question, which Martin has already answered. But
>> in that case it's XML, not Flex. Browsers won't do anything with flex
>> code (except ignore it).
>>
>> ///Peter
>> --
>> XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
>>
>>> Martin Honnen wrote:
>>>> jalexa9898 wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
>>>>> embed it in some html is this hard to do?
>>>> HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
>>>> any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
>>>> browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
>>>> with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
>>>> or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
>>>> in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
>>>> might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
>>>> you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
>>>> something more suitable for web browsers.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Martin Honnen
>>>> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
jalexa9898
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
Ok I will do my best to explain it here. Ok I have recently started to
program in a new language that has recently become popular called Flex.
It is made by the Adobe people. Now I know this is an xml newsgroup and
not a Flex newsgroup but I am just explaining it to clear things up.
Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page it seems
to use xml. Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml. I guess I was
wondering if it would be difficult to put the code in to a webpage that
is on a server.
If this does not clear things up please say so.

Peter Flynn wrote:
> jalexa9898 wrote:
> > But if the flex is embedded in the xml wouldn't it read it then

>
> Wouldn't what read what? Can you be a bit more specific about what you
> want to do, then maybe we can help you.
>
> ///Peter
>
> > Peter Flynn wrote:
> >> jalexa9898 wrote:
> >>> What if your programming in flex
> >> Code is just code. The language is not significant. Provided you escape
> >> < and & as &lt; and &amp; you can just use the <pre> element to hold
> >> the code for display.
> >>
> >> If you want the XML to be *interpreted* by the browser as XML, that's
> >> an entirely different question, which Martin has already answered. But
> >> in that case it's XML, not Flex. Browsers won't do anything with flex
> >> code (except ignore it).
> >>
> >> ///Peter
> >> --
> >> XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
> >>
> >>> Martin Honnen wrote:
> >>>> jalexa9898 wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>> I am asking because I wrote some flex that was put in xml and I want to
> >>>>> embed it in some html is this hard to do?
> >>>> HTML 4 has iframe and object to embed other documents. Whether it makes
> >>>> any sense to embed your XML with an iframe or object I don't know, some
> >>>> browsers (like IE/Win or Mozilla) will try to pretty print the XML tree
> >>>> with an XSL stylesheet if the XML document does not link to a stylesheet
> >>>> or, in the case of Mozilla, the document does not contain any elements
> >>>> in namespaces the browser recognizes (e.g. XHTML , SVG). Other browsers
> >>>> might simply render any text content in XML elements. So generally if
> >>>> you have XML then it is better to transform it on the server into
> >>>> something more suitable for web browsers.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> --
> >>>>
> >>>> Martin Honnen
> >>>> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Kesselman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
jalexa9898 wrote:
> Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page it seems
> to use xml. Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml. I guess I was
> wondering if it would be difficult to put the code in to a webpage that
> is on a server.


I think that sounds like a question about how/whether Flex is processed,
rather than about how HTML or XML are processed. I'd suggest asking the
Flex community.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex

(I know almost nothing about Flex, and don't have time to research it
right now, so that's about as much help as I can give you.)

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman
/\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Flynn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2006
jalexa9898 wrote:
> Ok I will do my best to explain it here. Ok I have recently started to
> program in a new language that has recently become popular called Flex.
> It is made by the Adobe people. Now I know this is an xml newsgroup and
> not a Flex newsgroup but I am just explaining it to clear things up.
> Well one of the things Flex does is when you write a flex page


A flex "page"? I thought flex was a programming language.
Do you mean you are using flex to output a HTML web page,
or has flex got some hidden magic inside it that creates web pages
without being asked to?

> it seems to use xml.


Quite possibly. This would be a sensible choice.

> Apparantly the code is embedded in some xml.


Yes, but *what* code? Flex code? HTML code? Something else you haven't
told us about? Can you give us a short example?

> I guess I was
> wondering if it would be difficult to put the code


*What* code? Your original flex code? Or something that flex has created?

> in to a webpage that is on a server.


But if it's already creating web pages, you should be able to put
them on a server as they are. If not, why not?

///Peter
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Embed HTML in XML csgraham74 XML 4 06-14-2007 04:31 PM
How to embed (show) an entire html page in asp.net Alex ASP .Net 4 10-28-2004 07:06 PM
Embed an html page into a placeholder? John ASP .Net 2 03-02-2004 12:10 PM
How to embed html in xml (i.e. prevent the html from being parsed)? Failure XML 1 09-07-2003 09:34 PM



Advertisments