Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Manipulating roles remotely

Manipulating roles remotely

John

Hi

My web app uses asp.net 2.0 roles/membership. My problem is how to
manipulate those remotely and I am thinking of implementing a web service.
My question is how does a web service residing in a sub folder of the web
app can access the web app's roles/membership info and manipulated it via
code? A code example would be helpful.

Thanks

Regards

Gaurav Vaish \(www.EduJini.IN\)

> My web app uses asp.net 2.0 roles/membership. My problem is how to
> manipulate those remotely and I am thinking of implementing a web service.
> My question is how does a web service residing in a sub folder of the web
> app can access the web app's roles/membership info and manipulated it via
> code? A code example would be helpful.

You can simply have an ASMX file in a sub-folder like any other webservice.

To create an account, you may have a WebMethod, say:

CreateAccount(string email, string password, string, ...)

And from there, you can call the method Membership.CreateUser within this
method...

Will all this code do?

--
Happy Hacking,
Gaurav Vaish | http://www.mastergaurav.org

John

Yes, thanks. My confusion is how does the web service relate/connect to the
membership/role system of the main app? If I start using membership methods
in the web service would it automatically access the same backend aspnet
users/roles db as the main app? I am probably being dumb but as I have not
done it before so am looking for clarification.

Thanks

"Gaurav Vaish (www.EduJini.IN)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My web app uses asp.net 2.0 roles/membership. My problem is how to
>> manipulate those remotely and I am thinking of implementing a web
>> service. My question is how does a web service residing in a sub folder
>> of the web app can access the web app's roles/membership info and
>> manipulated it via code? A code example would be helpful.

> You can simply have an ASMX file in a sub-folder like any other
> webservice.
>
> To create an account, you may have a WebMethod, say:
>
> CreateAccount(string email, string password, string, ...)
>
> And from there, you can call the method Membership.CreateUser within this
> method...
>

> Will all this code do?
>

> --
> Happy Hacking,
> Gaurav Vaish | http://www.mastergaurav.org
> http://www.edujini.in | http://webservices.edujini.in

Gaurav Vaish \(www.EduJini.IN\)

Yes.
The ASPX and ASMX are the part of the same web-application... (share common
web.config)