Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Ghost icon on server

Ghost icon on server

dorayme

Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
process?

FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
directory (Icon)

and this stops the whole folder from being deleted?

It has happened a few times to me and I never really know what to
do... I just ignore it and hope it goes away. Anyone a clue as to
what to do besides not worrying, contacting the server people or
renaming (this latter can't be done because it is officially not
there though I see them in my FTP program. I have 4 of these half
existing things. Who said that existence was binary?

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

dorayme wrote:
> Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
> server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
> process?
>
> FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
> directory (Icon)
>
> and this stops the whole folder from being deleted?
>
> It has happened a few times to me and I never really know what to
> do... I just ignore it and hope it goes away. Anyone a clue as to
> what to do besides not worrying, contacting the server people or
> renaming (this latter can't be done because it is officially not
> there though I see them in my FTP program. I have 4 of these half
> existing things. Who said that existence was binary?

Ghosts can happen on a computer as well as a server. You only have a
ghost icon. I have a ghost movie on my computer. The computer crashed
for some unknow reason when I was processing an about 4 GB movie mpg
file. After starting again, there was a directory with a movie file
where it should be. However the movie file was of unknown type and of
zero size. The computer would not allow you to delete either the
directory or the ghost movie and would say that the file could not be
found on the HD. Renaming, etc did not help. I am on Windows XP with
all of the updates. A system restore did not help. When you clean up
the C HD and defrag, everything defrags except several fragments for
the ghost movie, and the computer still thinks it has an about 4 GB
file stored on the HD. The only sure way I know to solve this problem
is to completely erase the HD and reinstall everything. I am not that
desperate to solve the problem which is doing no harm. Of course, on
the server you use, you likely do not have this option unless you own
the server. Hopefully someone else has had experience with ghosts on a
server or computer and can describe how they solved the problem.

Jim Moe

dorayme wrote:
> Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
> server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
> process?

Is this your server? You have root/admin access to it?

> FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
> directory (Icon)
>
> and this stops the whole folder from being deleted?

How are you doing this with HTML?
This sounds like an operating system problem, or possibly a HTTP server
configuration error.

(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

Leonard Blaisdell

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It has happened a few times to me and I never really know what to
> do... I just ignore it and hope it goes away. Anyone a clue as to
> what to do besides not worrying, contacting the server people or
> renaming (this latter can't be done because it is officially not
> there though I see them in my FTP program. I have 4 of these half
> existing things. Who said that existence was binary?

Have you tried sending up a real file of the same name to replace the
bogus one and then attempting to delete that? It's maybe something to
try.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jim Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
> > server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
> > process?
> >

> Is this your server? You have root/admin access to it?

Not my server

> > FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
> > directory (Icon)
> >
> > and this stops the whole folder from being deleted?
> >

> How are you doing this with HTML?

Doing what? In HTML? I load and upload things with an FTP program

> This sounds like an operating system problem, or possibly a HTTP server
> configuration error.

I have had this before with a completely different server and had
to ask the server people to delete it. I never got any feedback,
they just said they had deleted it and it was indeed gone. It
happens when I delete or try to delete folders. Now and again,
one or more folders on the server spring this ghost as content
and as a consequence refuse to be deleted.

--
dorayme

Steven Saunderson

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:21:07 +1000, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had this before with a completely different server and had
> to ask the server people to delete it. I never got any feedback,
> they just said they had deleted it and it was indeed gone.

It is possible to get undeletable (using FTP) files if you create files
using PHP. The PHP created files have the Apache UID and if the
permissions are restricted then deletion via FTP will fail because FTP
will be using your account UID. Can you check the permissions and UID
of the files to see if they match those of files you have uploaded ?

HTH

--
Steven

cwdjrxyz

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jim Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > dorayme wrote:
> > > Anyone had the prob of a blank icon appearing in a folder on the
> > > server which cannot be deleted because it is not seen by some
> > > process?
> > >

> > Is this your server? You have root/admin access to it?

> Not my server
>

> > > FTP Error: /www/website/gallery/thumbs/Icon: No such file or
> > > directory (Icon)
> > >
> > > and this stops the whole folder from being deleted?
> > >

> > How are you doing this with HTML?

> Doing what? In HTML? I load and upload things with an FTP program
>
> > This sounds like an operating system problem, or possibly a HTTP server
> > configuration error.

> I have had this before with a completely different server and had
> to ask the server people to delete it. I never got any feedback,
> they just said they had deleted it and it was indeed gone. It
> happens when I delete or try to delete folders. Now and again,
> one or more folders on the server spring this ghost as content
> and as a consequence refuse to be deleted.

On my server, I only once have had something that would not delete.
However it was not a ghost, but a file that I created. When you set up
ftp for others to download from, a special high level file is set up to
handle the ftp downloads for pages you wish others to download. This
file only has a number given to it by the program reached from the
control panel that sets up the ftp. I changed my mind about what I
wanted to do and tried to delete the special folder. However you just
get messages that the folder can not be deleted. I called the host
company, and they said they could do it. However I must send them the
file number I wanted deleted by email. I did this, and within 30
minutes the file was gone. I guess they were trying to protect their
backside by having the request for deletion in writing.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steven Saunderson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:21:07 +1000, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have had this before with a completely different server and had
> > to ask the server people to delete it. I never got any feedback,
> > they just said they had deleted it and it was indeed gone.

> It is possible to get undeletable (using FTP) files if you create files
> using PHP. The PHP created files have the Apache UID and if the
> permissions are restricted then deletion via FTP will fail because FTP
> will be using your account UID. Can you check the permissions and UID
> of the files to see if they match those of files you have uploaded ?

They are from folders that had html files and pics, nothing to do
with PHP. They have the same permissions as all the other files
that really have full existence.

(Fancy it being the case that something that truly exists can be
so easily extinguished while some thing that only half exists
cannot be.)

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net>,
Leonard Blaisdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > It has happened a few times to me and I never really know what to
> > do... I just ignore it and hope it goes away. Anyone a clue as to
> > what to do besides not worrying, contacting the server people or
> > renaming (this latter can't be done because it is officially not
> > there though I see them in my FTP program. I have 4 of these half
> > existing things. Who said that existence was binary?

> Have you tried sending up a real file of the same name to replace the
> bogus one and then attempting to delete that? It's maybe something to
> try.
>
> leo

Tried this just now, Leo. It results in two files with exactly
the same name appearing on the server - rather than one replacing
the other. The one just uploaded is easily able to be deleted,
the other one remains as stubbornly there (or half there!) as
ever.

--
dorayme

Leonard Blaisdell

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tried this just now, Leo. It results in two files with exactly
> the same name appearing on the server - rather than one replacing
> the other. The one just uploaded is easily able to be deleted,
> the other one remains as stubbornly there (or half there!) as
> ever.

What type of server are you having the problem with? If it's Apache on
*nix, I'm pretty sure I know how to delete everything in my account or
yours if you give me the password If you are served by IIS, I have
no clue.
I see this has been labeled [OT] by someone. I've always thought of
upload and deletion of files on a server to be integral to HTML. And
FFS, this is alt and not comp.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>