Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys WRT54G - WinXP lost connections

Linksys WRT54G - WinXP lost connections

Tom Williams

I just setup a Linksys WRT54G router with 5 wireless WinXP laptops (4
use 802.11g, 1 uses 802.11B. All have internal Mini PCI cards) plus one
desktop machine direct wired to the router.

I configured the router for DHCP, 128bit WEP, SSID broadcast disabled,
and entered a manual 26 character HEX key for key 1).

For each laptop, WEP shared settings were used and I entered the 26
character HEX key using Windows wireless networking configuration. Each
machine connected to the Net through the router successfully.

Problem: so far the 802.11b and one 802.11G laptop have failed to
remember the wireless connection profile eventually and lose the ability
to find the router.

Anyone have any suggestions where the problem is here?

Thanks...

Tom

Lem

Tom Williams wrote:

> I just setup a Linksys WRT54G router with 5 wireless WinXP laptops (4
> use 802.11g, 1 uses 802.11B. All have internal Mini PCI cards) plus one
> desktop machine direct wired to the router.
>
> I configured the router for DHCP, 128bit WEP, SSID broadcast disabled,
> and entered a manual 26 character HEX key for key 1).
>
> For each laptop, WEP shared settings were used and I entered the 26
> character HEX key using Windows wireless networking configuration. Each
> machine connected to the Net through the router successfully.
>
> Problem: so far the 802.11b and one 802.11G laptop have failed to
> remember the wireless connection profile eventually and lose the ability
> to find the router.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions where the problem is here?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Tom

I'm not sure why the computers would fail to remember the profile
"eventually," but enable SSID broadcast on the router and see if that
fixes the problem. Disabling SSID broadcast provides minimal -- if any
-- protection from intruders, and is known to cause problems with WZC.

You might consider upgrading the 802.11(b) device to 802.11(g). You
probably can't replace the internal mini-PCI card, but you should be
able to get an external USB or PCMICA adapter. Not only will you be
able to use more secure encryption, but your network will probably run
faster if set to "G-only" rather than to "mixed."