Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox browser started crashing frequently

Firefox browser started crashing frequently

gwtc

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:45:57 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
>>> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
>>> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
>>> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
>>>
>>> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
>>>
>>> And what to do about it??
>>>
>>> TJ
>>>

>> Try running in Firefox safe mode. If the crashes stop, its an
>> incompatable extension or theme.

> You keep saying this......
> But how?
>
> How does one get it to run in safe mode?
>
> By extension, do you mean one of those plugins like flashblocker?
>
> You lost me on the themes. In windows itself, a theme changes the
> wallpaper, desktop font, etc. which thus changes the look of the
> desktop. I can only assume FF has something similar. Unless a theme
> is something else, I never use such nonsense. It's just like these
> "skins" for something like Media Player. Who needs that junk.
>
> Your help is appreciated, but please be more specific. Not all of us
> are technicians.
>
> KN

close the program, then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

firefox.exe -safe-mode

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
someone else to hold them while you chop away.

John

On 25 Aug 2006 23:58:23 -0700, "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
>Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
>regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
>eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
>
>Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
>
>And what to do about it??
>
>TJ

After all is said and done, it seems to me that some people are just better off
using one program, while others are having no problem using another.

So, if you're unhappy with Firefox, and happy with MSIE: May the bluebird of
happiness fly up your nose!

Having said that, Firefox works just great for me - I have used it longer than I
can remember, and it gives me NO problems whatsoever.

Just lucky? Who knows . . . .

Like some other posters, I'm not a "computer geek", but just a user who knows
how to install and uninstall programs - I also keep my computer clean (to the
best of my ability) and stay away from sites which have a reputation of
installing malware on one's machine.

(One thing may be helpful: About once a year, I fdisk my hard drive, and
install all the programs from scratch.
It's a bit of work, but I understand it cleans crap from the machine which
CrapCleaner (ccleaner.com) probably hasn't even heard of.)

Cheers!
John <><

KN_____@cast.com

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:33:38 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On 25 Aug 2006 23:58:23 -0700, "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
>>> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing
>>> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
>>> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines
>>>
>>> Has enyone else noticed instability in Firefox?
>>>
>>> And what to do about it??
>>>
>>> TJ

>> If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
>> same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
>> on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
>> the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
>> to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
>> make it worse than it was.....
>>
>> I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
>> going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
>> worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
>> That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
>> beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
>> were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
>> Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
>> its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
>> its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
>> use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
>> websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.
>>
>> Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.
>>
>> By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
>> Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
>> properly. Needless to say, I am really ****ed off at the moment.
>>
>> Good luck, I feel you'll need it....
>>
>> KN
>>

>you're problem may be you're using an OLD profile for a newer program.
> The profile stores all the prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc. Create
>a NEW profile for the newer version
>
>Close FF, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
>
>firefox.exe -p
>
>this will bring up the FF profile. Follow the instructions and create
>a new profile.

What the heck do we need a profile for anyhow? I really dont want my
copy of FF traceable by the websites I use. Just another invite to
spammers if you ask me.

KN

KN_____@cast.com

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:33:53 -0700, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:45:57 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Try running in Firefox safe mode. If the crashes stop, its an
>>> incompatable extension or theme.

>> You keep saying this......
>> But how?
>>
>> How does one get it to run in safe mode?
>>
>> By extension, do you mean one of those plugins like flashblocker?
>>
>> You lost me on the themes. In windows itself, a theme changes the
>> wallpaper, desktop font, etc. which thus changes the look of the
>> desktop. I can only assume FF has something similar. Unless a theme
>> is something else, I never use such nonsense. It's just like these
>> "skins" for something like Media Player. Who needs that junk.
>>
>> Your help is appreciated, but please be more specific. Not all of us
>> are technicians.
>>
>> KN

>close the program, then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
>
>firefox.exe -safe-mode

Thanks to both of you guys for the help.....

KN

gwtc

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:33:38 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
>>> same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
>>> on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
>>> the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
>>> to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
>>> make it worse than it was.....
>>>
>>> I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
>>> going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
>>> worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
>>> That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
>>> beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
>>> were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
>>> Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
>>> its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
>>> its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
>>> use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
>>> websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.
>>>
>>> Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.
>>>
>>> By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
>>> Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
>>> properly. Needless to say, I am really ****ed off at the moment.
>>>
>>> Good luck, I feel you'll need it....
>>>
>>> KN
>>>

>> you're problem may be you're using an OLD profile for a newer program.
>> The profile stores all the prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc. Create
>> a NEW profile for the newer version
>>
>> Close FF, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
>>
>> firefox.exe -p
>>
>> this will bring up the FF profile. Follow the instructions and create
>> a new profile.

> What the heck do we need a profile for anyhow? I really dont want my
> copy of FF traceable by the websites I use. Just another invite to
> spammers if you ask me.
>
> KN

a profile contains all your settings, preferences, passwords,
bookmarks, history, themes, extensions, and other things.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
someone else to hold them while you chop away.

Whiskers

["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
On 2006-08-26, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 09:33:38 -0700, gwtc <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

snip

>>you're problem may be you're using an OLD profile for a newer program.
>> The profile stores all the prefs, bookmarks, passwords, etc. Create
>>a NEW profile for the newer version
>>
>>Close FF, click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
>>
>>firefox.exe -p
>>
>>this will bring up the FF profile. Follow the instructions and create
>>a new profile.

> What the heck do we need a profile for anyhow? I really dont want my
> copy of FF traceable by the websites I use. Just another invite to
> spammers if you ask me.
>
> KN

Websites aren't interested in tracing 'your copy of Firefox', or your copy
of any other browser. They can and do take an interest in the IP number
you use to connect to the internet when you access their pages, not least
because without it they can't send you the information your browser needs
to display their website.

If you're interested in privacy and related aspects of 'going on-line',
you might like to start here <http://www.eff.org/Privacy/> and here
<http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/securing_browser/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

gwtc

Whiskers wrote:

> Websites aren't interested in tracing 'your copy of Firefox', or your copy
> of any other browser. They can and do take an interest in the IP number
> you use to connect to the internet when you access their pages, not least
> because without it they can't send you the information your browser needs
> to display their website.

you sure about that? I thought that it was your User Agent String

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
someone else to hold them while you chop away.

Plato

TJ wrote:

> I have the latest Firefox version browser running on two different PCs.
> Since the last automatic update August 5, Firefox has begin crashing

Never choose auto updates of ANYTHING. Why be a BETA tester for No
Money?

> regularly on both of them. You snap back to Desktop in the blink of an
> eye. Up 2 date antivirus and Ad-Aware on both machines

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

FoxWolfie Galen

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 03:17:19 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> If you followed the messages in the last 3 or 4 days, I was having the
> same problems with version 1.0, and this got worse recently. Everyone
> on here told me to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade..... said that would fix
> the problem. Yeah, right. I went from crashing a few times a week,
> to crashing every time I run it. Nice upgrade, I love it when they
> make it worse than it was.....

I've followed your problems with Firefox since you mentioned them. My best
guess is that you have a corrupted profile. It's one thing that *usually*
stays the same when someone upgrades. If there are problems with crashing
in Firefox, it is almost always due to a badly-written extension or theme,
or to a corrupted profile.

If you've already tried Firefox in safe mode and still had problems with
crashing, then the problem is most likely with your profile. Exit Firefox
and just delete the entire profile. On your system, it is probably located
in C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\. Just kill everything under mozilla
and all of it's subdirectories. Before doing so, be sure to back up your
bookmarks.html file to a safe location, if you don't want to start from
scratch.

Just deleting the profile and letting Firefox make a new one could fix
things. If you went back to a previous version of the browser after having
a new one installed, then it could confuse the profile. Even going back to
a version that previously worked might not work anymore after a profile has
been mangled.

> I'm just in the process of trying to get rid of firefox entirely, and
> going back to one of the older versions (before 1.0) that actually
> worked. The mozilla website dont have the install for the older ones.
> That shows how much they give a damn about their users. I am
> beginning to hate mozilla, almost more than microsoft. I wish there
> were more browsers to choose from, but I guess we are all stuck with
> Firefox that crashes, Opera that's so goddamn bloated and memory hog
> its rediculous, and IE that actually works halfway well, despite all
> its quirks. (at least the version 5.5 which is the newest one I'll
> use). I dont give a rats ass about security issues on the type of
> websites I go to, I just want something simple to use that dont crash.
>
> Yeah, no viruses or spyware here either.
>
> By the way, I uninstalled FF 1.5 and restored my backup of 1.0.
> Apparently 1.5 did some harm to something because my backup wont work
> properly. Needless to say, I am really ****ed off at the moment.

This sounds exactly like what I just said earlier in this same message. You
upgraded, which naturally made sure your older profile was updated to work
with the newer version. When you went back, the old version had no way to
undo anything the new version might have changed. Going back from 1.5.0.6
to 1.5.0.1 probably wouldn't hurt, but going from 1.5.x to 1.0.x probably
could. Worse yet would be a jump from the latest to something prior to 1.0.

Prior to every Firefox upgrade, I always backup my existing profile, them
do the upgrade. This process usually goes without a problem, but there were
a few exceptions. When I went from 1.0.7 to 1.5, something was messed up.
Firefox crashed. To fix it. I simply deleted Firefox entirely, and also the
profile. The new install went perfectly after that, and I simply copied my
bookmarks and passwords over from my backup.

I encountered similar trouble when going from 0.9x to 1.0, and with some of
the other pre-1.0 upgrades. I started with Firebird back around version
0.5. You mentioned using 0.8, 1.0 and then trying 1.5x. Those are all
vastly different and trying to go forward or backward through versions that
are that far apart is far more likely to cause problems than if you
upgraded more often with smaller version increments.

I don't think you need to upgrade Windows. I also use Win98se and have less
RAM than you claim to have. My system is very stable and has never once had
a virus or spyware that I didn't copy to my drive purposely to investigate.
Like you, I will not move over to XP on an old system like mine. Even if I
had a P4, I'd still stick with Win98se, just because it is so much smaller
and faster than anything else Microsoft has thrown up at us since. On the
other hand, I do keep the latest version of Firefox installed. It works,
rarely crashes, and even then, I always find the cause to be a
badly-written extension that I was curious about. I only upgrade when a new
version actually works and does not add bloat or slow things down. With
Firefox, the newer versions have actually become a little faster, and the
filesize has remained fairly stable. Most other programs don't fare so
well.

I still use WinAmp 2.95. Everything after that was much bigger and far more
buggy. I still use ACDSee 2.42. Everything after that started to inflate at
a rapid pace, and added nothing to my ability to quickly view common image
files. I still use F-Prot for DOS as my preferred virus scanner. Everything
for Windows is much slower and bloated. F-Prot updates it's definitions
every few days, so what can be gained by upgrading, but a slower system and
less drive space? Firefox just doesn't follow the "new=bloat" pattern that
most software seems to be proud of. I'm still amazed at Microsoft. Look at
the size of a Windoze XP installation disk and compare that to Windows
version 1.01 (under 750k), Windows 2.03 (1.3m) and Windows 3.10 (7.2m).
Then look at Firefox. Version 0.8 was 6.4m, version 1.08 was 4.7m and then
latest 1.5.0.6 is still only 5.0m. That's nearly 1.5m smaller than a very
old version, and it's far more capable now. This is why Firefox gets
upgraded on my system, and the OS does not. If anyone wonders how I know
the size of Windows 1, 2 and 3, it's because I have the install files for
all of them right here.

Ed Mullen

gwtc wrote:
> Whiskers wrote:
>
>> Websites aren't interested in tracing 'your copy of Firefox', or your
>> copy of any other browser. They can and do take an interest in the IP
>> number you use to connect to the internet when you access their pages,
>> not least
>> because without it they can't send you the information your browser needs
>> to display their website.

> you sure about that? I thought that it was your User Agent String

Both of the IP addresses must be known for there to be any communication.

As for User Agent strings, some Web site operators do care about what
browsers are being used to access their site. They may even serve
different versions of the same page depending on the browser in use. I
do that on my site by using different CSS files for IE and Mozilla-based
browsers.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net