Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Where to download older versions of Firefox

Where to download older versions of Firefox

KN_____@cast.com

I am looking for Firefox 0.8 or one of the other older versions. It's
not on mozilla.org.
Where can I find it to download?

By the way, if I downgrade from 1.5, is running uninstall enough, or
do I need to manually edit my registry to remove all traces of firefox
before installing the older version?

Thanks

KN

Mumia W.

On 08/26/2006 12:59 AM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am looking for Firefox 0.8 or one of the other older versions. It's
> not on mozilla.org.
> Where can I find it to download?

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases

> By the way, if I downgrade from 1.5, is running uninstall enough, or
> do I need to manually edit my registry to remove all traces of firefox
> before installing the older version?
>
> Thanks
>
> KN

Do that and delete the old FF program folder after you
uninstall and before you install the new (old) version.

To be safe, I would create a new profile for the new
installation because older versions of FF might not like
profiles modified by the newer versions of FF.

Peter Boerhof

--
Peter

This tagline is brought to you by the letter "C".

KN_____@cast.com

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:03:05 GMT, "Mumia W."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 08/26/2006 12:59 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I am looking for Firefox 0.8 or one of the other older versions. It's
>> not on mozilla.org.
>> Where can I find it to download?
>>

>ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases
>

>> By the way, if I downgrade from 1.5, is running uninstall enough, or
>> do I need to manually edit my registry to remove all traces of firefox
>> before installing the older version?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> KN

>Do that and delete the old FF program folder after you
>uninstall and before you install the new (old) version.
>
>To be safe, I would create a new profile for the new
>installation because older versions of FF might not like
>profiles modified by the newer versions of FF.

Thanks for the link and the help.
How does someone create a new profile? Does that happen during
installation? Should I delete the c:\windows\applications\mozilla
directory completely, before I install the new (old) one?

KN

Peter Boerhof

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:03:05 GMT, "Mumia W."
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>On 08/26/2006 12:59 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>I am looking for Firefox 0.8 or one of the other older versions. It's
>>>not on mozilla.org.
>>>Where can I find it to download?
>>>

>>ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases
>>

>>>By the way, if I downgrade from 1.5, is running uninstall enough, or
>>>do I need to manually edit my registry to remove all traces of firefox
>>>before installing the older version?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>KN
>>>

>>Do that and delete the old FF program folder after you
>>uninstall and before you install the new (old) version.
>>
>>To be safe, I would create a new profile for the new
>>installation because older versions of FF might not like
>>profiles modified by the newer versions of FF.
>>

>Thanks for the link and the help.
>How does someone create a new profile? Does that happen during
>installation? Should I delete the c:\windows\applications\mozilla
>directory completely, before I install the new (old) one?
>
>KN

You can add a new profile on installation ,or after installing use the
profile manager

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
--
Peter

Excuse me, is this tagline taken?

Mumia W.

> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 10:03:05 GMT, "Mumia W."
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 08/26/2006 12:59 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I am looking for Firefox 0.8 or one of the other older versions. It's
>>> not on mozilla.org.
>>> Where can I find it to download?
>>>

>> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases
>>

>>> By the way, if I downgrade from 1.5, is running uninstall enough, or
>>> do I need to manually edit my registry to remove all traces of firefox
>>> before installing the older version?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> KN

>> Do that and delete the old FF program folder after you
>> uninstall and before you install the new (old) version.
>>
>> To be safe, I would create a new profile for the new
>> installation because older versions of FF might not like
>> profiles modified by the newer versions of FF.

> Thanks for the link and the help.
> How does someone create a new profile?

Open a DOS box in Windows and type this:

firefox -profilemanager

> Does that happen during
> installation?

No

> Should I delete the c:\windows\applications\mozilla
> directory completely, before I install the new (old) one?

Yes

> KN

But beware: your FF profile data is stored separately from the
FF application, and FF 1.5 probably converted your FF 1.0
profile to only work with FF 1.5 (i.e. destroyed it), so you
need to create a new profile using "firefox -profilemanager"
right after you install the new (old) FF.

P.S.
Ignore the following advice:

It's probably about time you reinstalled Windows. When I was
using 16-bit Windows, I learned that Windows had to be
reinstalled every couple of years, or it would become unstable
due to DLL and application conflicts as well as configuration
file cruft.

YMMV, IANAWUA (I am not a Windows user anymore), VWP (void
where prohibited), MCTON (may contain traces of nuts), PIGN
(please ignore).