Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VoIP & Citrix - vendor apps

VoIP & Citrix - vendor apps

Phil Schuman

We are researching the info for a VoIP solution.
In reviewing the information, we recently discovered
there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
with a Citrix based network.
We have real PCs with Citrix clients - local, remote, teleworker.
We have a few thin Citrix terminals, like the Wyse winterm...
ie - how is all this affecting....
the vendor unified messaging display application ?
the vendor softphone application ?
other vendor specific VoIP related application ?

Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

Phil Schuman

"Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZvIHg.28$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are researching the info for a VoIP solution.
> In reviewing the information, we recently discovered
> there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
> with a Citrix based network.
> We have real PCs with Citrix clients - local, remote, teleworker.
> We have a few thin Citrix terminals, like the Wyse winterm...
> ie - how is all this affecting....
> the vendor unified messaging display application ?
> the vendor softphone application ?
> other vendor specific VoIP related application ?
>
> Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

BTW - here's the info on the Wyse 1200LE winterm
http://www.wyse.com/products/winterm/1200le/index.asp

Great Vincent

Phil Schuman wrote:
> We are researching the info for a VoIP solution.
> In reviewing the information, we recently discovered
> there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
> with a Citrix based network.
> We have real PCs with Citrix clients - local, remote, teleworker.
> We have a few thin Citrix terminals, like the Wyse winterm...
> ie - how is all this affecting....
> the vendor unified messaging display application ?
> the vendor softphone application ?
> other vendor specific VoIP related application ?
>
> Any comments or feedback on this topic ?

Rookie..can u explain me what Citrix is and how it works

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Phil,

You may already be aware of the Tek-Tips Citrix Solutions Forum:

http://www.tek-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=48

as well as the Citrix Support Forums:

http://support.citrix.com/forums/ind...a?categoryID=1

Citrix - Cisco Partnership:

http://www.bradreese.com/citrix-cisco-partnership.pdf

Citrix - Cisco Networking:

http://www.bradreese.com/citrix-cisco-networking.pdf

Citrix IP Telephony Applications for Cisco CallManager Customers:

http://www.citrix.com/English/ps2/pr...ontentID=21016

Your personal contacts at Citrix regarding Cisco:

Mr. Tripp Purvis
tripp.purvis *at* citrix.com
Telephone: 954-267-3000

or

Mr. David Coleman
david.coleman *at* citrix.com
Telephone: 408-678-3357

or

Mr. Barry Phillips
barry.phillips *at* citrix.com
Telephone: 408-678-3309

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco IOS Software - Compatible Partner Matrix by Technology
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support
http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm#CISCO

Rob Nicholson

> there may be various challenges with running VoIP vendor apps
> with a Citrix based network.

It depends what you mean by VoIP? Do you mean something like Skype or are
you looking for an office PBX solution that's VoIP based?

If things like Skype, then yes - there are real barriers in a Citrix
environment esp. with thin clients like Wyse terminals. The basic problem is
you can't plug USB headsets/handsets into a Wyse terminal and get it to work
over Citrix communicating with the softphone client (i.e. Skype) on the
server.

However, if you're looking for a office PBX system that happens to be VoIP
based then there are options. Softphones are still out for the same reason
as above. But if you're thinking about hard phones (i.e. a physical
telephone) then you most of the top vendor's system will work in the Citrix
environment. By "work" I mean that you can install the phone manager
software on terminal server and it will communicate very effectively with
the telephone on your desk. For example, you could dial from the phone
manager or from Outlook. Conversely when a call comes into your phone,
screen popups are also available.

Things like voicemail's delivered to email will also still work as long as
you accept the limitations of audio playback over Citrix. But then again, in
a office environment, your work mates will get very annoyed at you playing
back voicemail over speakers so you'd have to equip everyone with headsets.
Audio playback to some Wyse terminals is not very good.

And as you're using hardphones, you can still use VoIP to a telephone next
to a remote Wyse terminal.

But having been through the above very recently, the costs of VoIP as a
replacement for office PBX systems just isn't there. We moved office
recently and looked at Cisco, Avaya and Swyx. Swyx is very Citrix friendly
and is a great system but the cost was just too much for us so we ended up
with an analogue Avaya systems. Couldn't justify the extra features for the
cost - cabling was cheap.

Cheers, Rob.