Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Configure Enable password

Configure Enable password

Rahan

Hi All,

Could you explain what's diffrence btw the commands :

enable password ...
and
enable secret ...

Thanks a lot !

Best Regards
Rahan

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Rahan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could you explain what's diffrence btw the commands :
>
> enable password ...
> and
> enable secret ...
>

> Thanks a lot !
>
> Best Regards
> Rahan

The enable secret password is securely encrypted in the router's
config and cannot be reversed.

The enable password can be stored either in plain text
or trivially encrypted.

If both are configured the enable password is ignored
and the enable secret password used instead.

It is a frequent mistake to configure both.
this just means that your enable password can be
trivially decrypted.

you should use only the enable secret version.

Rahan

<(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Rahan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Could you explain what's diffrence btw the commands :
> >
> > enable password ...
> > and
> > enable secret ...
> >

> > Thanks a lot !
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Rahan

> The enable secret password is securely encrypted in the router's
> config and cannot be reversed.
>
> The enable password can be stored either in plain text
> or trivially encrypted.
>
> If both are configured the enable password is ignored
> and the enable secret password used instead.
>
> It is a frequent mistake to configure both.
> this just means that your enable password can be
> trivially decrypted.
>
> you should use only the enable secret version.

Thank You very much Bod34 for your a clear answer.

Best Regards
Rahan

BernieM

"Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
news:44ef2eeb$0$909$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> Rahan wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Could you explain what's diffrence btw the commands :
>> >
>> > enable password ...
>> > and
>> > enable secret ...
>> >

>> > Thanks a lot !
>> >
>> > Best Regards
>> > Rahan

>> The enable secret password is securely encrypted in the router's
>> config and cannot be reversed.
>>
>> The enable password can be stored either in plain text
>> or trivially encrypted.
>>
>> If both are configured the enable password is ignored
>> and the enable secret password used instead.
>>
>> It is a frequent mistake to configure both.
>> this just means that your enable password can be
>> trivially decrypted.
>>
>> you should use only the enable secret version.
>>

> Thank You very much Bod34 for your a clear answer.
>
> Best Regards
> Rahan

Just to give you an example of how insecure 'enable password' is, here's a
popular decrypting engine ... http://www2.tongzweb.com/tools/cisco.asp

'enable secret' uses an MD5 hash.

BernieM