Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Difficulty "toning" for ports on gig switch

Difficulty "toning" for ports on gig switch

Gadget_jb

My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several toner/wand
sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the
tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However,
if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they can
hear it loud and clear, and find the port.

I tried searching on cisco.com and google before asking, but was not
able to turn up anything that described or resolved the issue.

Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for
that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or
could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being less
coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?

Has anyone run into this issue, or have a clue what might be causing
it?

Any insight, or guidance on where to look would certainly be
appreciated.

Phil Schuman

x-posted to the cabling newsgroup

"Gadget_jb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several

toner/wand
> sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the
> tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However,
> if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they

can
> hear it loud and clear, and find the port.
>
> I tried searching on cisco.com and google before asking, but was not
> able to turn up anything that described or resolved the issue.
>
> Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for
> that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or
> could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being

less
> coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?
>
> Has anyone run into this issue, or have a clue what might be causing
> it?
>
> Any insight, or guidance on where to look would certainly be
> appreciated.

Carl Navarro

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:55:50 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>x-posted to the cabling newsgroup
>
>"Gadget_jb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several

>toner/wand
>> sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the
>> tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However,
>> if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they

>can
>> hear it loud and clear, and find the port.
>>
>> I tried searching on cisco.com and google before asking, but was not
>> able to turn up anything that described or resolved the issue.
>>
>> Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for
>> that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or
>> could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being

>less
>> coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?
>>
>> Has anyone run into this issue, or have a clue what might be causing
>> it?
>>
>> Any insight, or guidance on where to look would certainly be
>> appreciated.

You might want to investigate the Intelliprobe 200 from Fluke. It's a
digital toner.

Carl "got one on the (b)leading edge and hate it" Navarro

Dmitri

In many switches the unused pairs 1 and 4 are actually grounded or, more
accurately, bonded to the switch’s ground. That would kill signal from the
toner pretty effectively. Better toners can let you choose which pair to
send the signal through and it should be either 2 or 3. Those pairs are
not connected to the ground and for the toner look like they’re a 100 Ohm
resistor which they can drive OK (would be even better if they were up in
the air, but that only happens for unplugged cords)

Interesting enough, you've mentioned these are Gigabit, which has all four
pairs separated from the ground. However, the #1 and the #4 can still be
used for power and the internal resistivity of the power circuitry can be
much less than that of a transceiver and can lower the toner's signal.

--

Best Regards,
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

--