Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Wireless bogs system down

Wireless bogs system down

forester74 forester74 is offline
Junior Member
Location: Arizona high desert

I am using a older tower that I built with a socket A board, 1.2Ghz AMD processor, 398 Meg of memory with XP home with all the sp1 and sp2 updates. Most of the time everything runs fine. I have AVAST antivirus and spybot search and destroy running.

Wireless is connected with a D-link PCI card and a 7db gain antenna (has to be positioned just right). Signal strength rated excellent.

However... If the signal strength is degraded even a little, all the processes on my computer bog down. The screen may even freeze for awhile. It is if everything has to stop if the signal strength gets worse (very good) and the computer is only focusing on the wireless connection. Other wireless systems (laptops) brought into my house have no such problem. Or if the broadband signal is hard wired from the router there is also no problem. When on wireless I disable the other card or it is really screwed up.

Any ideas out there for me to try? I would hard wire to the router, but the room has other uses.

Last edited by forester74; 08-25-2006 at 02:00 PM..