Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Before buying the "Original" Star Wars DVDs, read this!

Reply
Thread Tools

Before buying the "Original" Star Wars DVDs, read this!

 
 
RobMac
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)

"Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect for
quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th anniversary of
the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be stupid not to
know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans with which to
celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that was the case for
many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the Ranch for the DVD
release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed that a box set of
all six films was going to happen eventually, and animation director Rob
Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already
been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future"
release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this
box set, and we've been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it
as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star
Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to
the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special
features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the
original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more.
We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original
theatrical editions of the films will be included or not (though how you
could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect
high-definition versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't
have ANY other details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider
whether or not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we
thought you should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff
said for now."

Read the full page here http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andy Upton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
bloody films ?
Haven't we had enough of his **** already ??
"David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fXCHg.17845$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
> Wars is no exception.
>
> "RobMac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
>>
>> "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect
>> for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th
>> anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to
>> be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release
>> plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you
>> that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to
>> the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum
>> confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen eventually,
>> and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda
>> from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match
>> Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star Wars
>> Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been quietly
>> checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've
>> confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD
>> box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and
>> there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the
>> good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD
>> release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if
>> good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions
>> of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set
>> "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition
>> versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other
>> details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or
>> not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you
>> should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for
>> now."
>>
>> Read the full page here
>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406
>>
>>
>>
>> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
>> News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>> Newsgroups
>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>> =----

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Z
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star Wars
is no exception.

"RobMac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
>
> "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect
> for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th
> anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to be
> stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release plans
> with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling you that
> was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit to the
> Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum confirmed
> that a box set of all six films was going to happen eventually, and
> animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the puppet Yoda from
> Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda to match Episodes
> II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star Wars Universe
> recently speculated about this box set, and we've been quietly checking in
> with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've confirmed it: There
> IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD box set planned for
> 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and there will be LOTS of
> new, never-before-seen special features - all the good stuff that was held
> back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago.
> Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED
> versions of the original theatrical editions of the films will be included
> or not (though how you could call the set "ultimate" without them, we
> don't know). We don't expect high-definition versions yet, as those
> formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other details for you yet, so
> please don't ask. But as you consider whether or not to purchase the
> "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you should know that more
> IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for now."
>
> Read the full page here
> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406
>
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----



 
Reply With Quote
 
TSKO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006

"Andy Upton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_VCHg.26454$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
> bloody films ?
> Haven't we had enough of his **** already ??
> "David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fXCHg.17845$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
>> Wars is no exception.
>>
>> "RobMac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
>>>
>>> "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to expect
>>> for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th
>>> anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to
>>> be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release
>>> plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling
>>> you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last visit
>>> to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick McCallum
>>> confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen
>>> eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that the
>>> puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG Yoda
>>> to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over at Star
>>> Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've been
>>> quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well, we've
>>> confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars anniversary DVD
>>> box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to the films, and
>>> there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special features - all the
>>> good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the original Trilogy DVD
>>> release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and more. We don't know if
>>> good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the original theatrical editions
>>> of the films will be included or not (though how you could call the set
>>> "ultimate" without them, we don't know). We don't expect high-definition
>>> versions yet, as those formats are just too new. We don't have ANY other
>>> details for you yet, so please don't ask. But as you consider whether or
>>> not to purchase the "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you
>>> should know that more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for
>>> now."
>>>
>>> Read the full page here
>>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
>>> News==----
>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>> =----

>>
>>

>
>


If you could make millions and millions on your creation...do you think you
would milk it also?
Doesnt make it right...but its all about the money.

And also....we bitch and moan....but by god we still buy whatever he puts
out (as a vast majority that is)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Guest
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006

"David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fXCHg.17845$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
> Wars is no exception.
>


Obsolete means that they can no longer be used. They can still be used on
HD-DVD and BR. A SW HD disc is something that you should not expect anytime
soon.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
RobMac wrote:

> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
> <snip because it's already linked>
> Read the full page here http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406


....Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying
the original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see
it mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set
either, which it doesn't seem to be?

(Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)

Derek Janssen
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anybody
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
In article <_VCHg.26454$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andy Upton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
> bloody films ?
> Haven't we had enough of his **** already ??


If you don't want them, then don't buy them. Surely that's not THAT
difficult to understand. :-\
 
Reply With Quote
 
RobMac
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> RobMac wrote:
>
>> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
>> <snip because it's already linked>
>> Read the full page here
>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

>
> ...Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying the
> original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see it
> mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set either,
> which it doesn't seem to be?
>
> (Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
> 1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)
>
> Derek Janssen
> (E-Mail Removed)
>


Well, I know that it's not confirmed that the "original" versions will be
available in this upcoming 6-disc set in 2007, it's at least something to
consider that might happen in the future.

This was a warning of another upcoming release - potentially including the
versions in the 9/12 release (since even the Bits can't confirm otherwise
until Fox "officially" announces the box's release).

But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact thing -
on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've already
got?!"

Are you really gonna buy it again?! If so, why complain about Lucas
re-re-re-re-releasing something (since you seem to buy the same thing in a
different package anyway)? Isn't that feeding into the reason Lucas does
this?!

I have *all* the laserdisc releases (the original CLVs, the CAV Definitive
Collection box set, the CLV THX discs and the THX AC-3 Special Edition Box
Set) - I now own only 16x9 HDTVs so any non-anamorphic DVD is normally
beneath my radar (but this *is* Star Wars we're talking about, so I'm up on
the news).

A non-anamorphic Star Wars DVD in 2006 is **unforgivable**, and since I
already own several copies I will not be contributing to Lucas further until
it's anamorphic.

RobMac



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Janssen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
RobMac wrote:
>
>>>http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406

>>
>>...Okay: So, umm, even though the webmaster mentioned "Before buying the
>>original" so that we could put it in the header too, where do we see it
>>mentioned that it'll ever come back, or that it's in the new set either,
>>which it doesn't seem to be?
>>
>>(Considering how hard we had to slap them in the head to get the cheap
>>1996 laserdisk port we are getting?)

>
> Well, I know that it's not confirmed that the "original" versions will be
> available in this upcoming 6-disc set in 2007, it's at least something to
> consider that might happen in the future.
>
> But, the question I have to ask here is "If someone knows this is the
> laserdisc port, then wouldn't that mean that person already *has* the LD
> port, and if they already have it, why would you want the same exact thing -
> on DVD, especially since it's *NOT* any better than what you've already
> got?!"


Well, probably because I've never owned a LD player in my life, and only
know that the New Original is the '96 LD version,
A) from hearing the core fans point it out, and
B) from various pieces of evidence in the "Did George really 'destroy
the old prints', or not?" debates, and Lucas's "All we had was the
non-ana LD in our vaults" excuse as Exhibit A for why the French aren't
getting an anamorphic version either.

Simply put, LD's don't fit in my DVD player. I can try, but it always
breaks the drawer, going in.

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Deborah A Proctor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006

"TSKO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newssDHg.2900$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> "Andy Upton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_VCHg.26454$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bloody hell - how much more money does Lucas want to milk out of those
>> bloody films ?
>> Haven't we had enough of his **** already ??
>> "David Z" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fXCHg.17845$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, whatever you buy on (regular) DVD now is obsolete already. Star
>>> Wars is no exception.
>>>
>>> "RobMac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> From The Digital Bits (Rumor Mill)
>>>>
>>>> "Also today... a follow-up on something we've been telling you to
>>>> expect for quite while now. 2007, as you may well be aware, is the 30th
>>>> anniversary of the original Star Wars' debut in theaters. You'd have to
>>>> be stupid not to know that Lucasfilm is going to have big DVD release
>>>> plans with which to celebrate the anniversary, and we've been telling
>>>> you that was the case for many months now. Indeed, during our last
>>>> visit to the Ranch for the DVD release of Episode III, producer Rick
>>>> McCallum confirmed that a box set of all six films was going to happen
>>>> eventually, and animation director Rob Coleman even let it slip that
>>>> the puppet Yoda from Episode I had already been replaced with a new CG
>>>> Yoda to match Episodes II & III for the "future" release. T-Bone over
>>>> at Star Wars Universe recently speculated about this box set, and we've
>>>> been quietly checking in with our industry sources on it as well. Well,
>>>> we've confirmed it: There IS a big, ultimate, 6-film Star Wars
>>>> anniversary DVD box set planned for 2007. There will be more changes to
>>>> the films, and there will be LOTS of new, never-before-seen special
>>>> features - all the good stuff that was held back by Lucasfilm from the
>>>> original Trilogy DVD release a few years ago. Think deleted scenes and
>>>> more. We don't know if good, genuinely-REMASTERED versions of the
>>>> original theatrical editions of the films will be included or not
>>>> (though how you could call the set "ultimate" without them, we don't
>>>> know). We don't expect high-definition versions yet, as those formats
>>>> are just too new. We don't have ANY other details for you yet, so
>>>> please don't ask. But as you consider whether or not to purchase the
>>>> "limited edition" DVDs due on 9/12... we thought you should know that
>>>> more IS absolutely on the way next year. 'Nuff said for now."
>>>>
>>>> Read the full page here
>>>> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#082406
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
>>>> News==----
>>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>>> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>>>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>>> =----
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
> If you could make millions and millions on your creation...do you think
> you would milk it also?
> Doesnt make it right...but its all about the money.
>
> And also....we bitch and moan....but by god we still buy whatever he puts
> out (as a vast majority that is)


I'm not buying the originals coming out in Sep. I've already got the
definitive collection on LD which is what they used as the master.

Debbie Proctor
(E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Star wars.... Cathode Sabers! unholy The Lounge 17 09-16-2005 02:27 PM
Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star Wars DVD set? TNEXTWAVE DVD Video 22 10-01-2004 10:44 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY, STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, SEASON ONE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 09-27-2004 09:08 AM
Re: Star Wars: Clone Wars on dvd? Machina3317 DVD Video 2 04-14-2004 01:11 PM
Re: Sound problems on DVDs (was Re: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) (was: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) Terry Austin DVD Video 0 12-02-2003 03:21 AM



Advertisments