Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CSS 11506 - Source address

CSS 11506 - Source address

jibbajibba

I am trying to set up a HA service for a bunch of applications across a
teired DMZ. We have an architecture that seems to work fine but it
requires use of a large numbers of VIPS and use of the sorry server
option to fail over.
If we were able to use source address load balancing (ie switch traffic
based on the source IP address) we could simplify our design and get
rid of a lot of those VIPs. Is any one aware of a way to do this on a
CSS 11506?

jibbajibba

Anyone able to help ?

James

I haven't used the CSS for 3 years now however it does have an option
for sticking to servers / load balancing based on Source IP:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08029cb84.html

I hope this is what you were asking.

James

jibbajibba wrote:
> Anyone able to help ?

jibbajibba

James wrote:
> I haven't used the CSS for 3 years now however it does have an option
> for sticking to servers / load balancing based on Source IP:-
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08029cb84.html
>
> I hope this is what you were asking.

Actually no not quite. I am not trying to do Sticky here I am hoping
that I can determine which of 3 application servers gets hit based on
which one of the 3 web servers the request comes from as opposed to
tying each web server to a different VIP and then defining each vip as
a different sequence of the three servers... if you see what i mean.
Sticky will just direct me to a server once I have it it (from a round
robin or similar) so long as i caome frotme h same IP address.
I guess I could somehow hardcode the sticky table ... but that is a
step or 2 down the line

James

Ah I see what you mean - no idea, sorry!

James

jibbajibba wrote:

> James wrote:
> > I haven't used the CSS for 3 years now however it does have an option
> > for sticking to servers / load balancing based on Source IP:-
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08029cb84.html
> >
> > I hope this is what you were asking.

> Actually no not quite. I am not trying to do Sticky here I am hoping
> that I can determine which of 3 application servers gets hit based on
> which one of the 3 web servers the request comes from as opposed to
> tying each web server to a different VIP and then defining each vip as
> a different sequence of the three servers... if you see what i mean.
> Sticky will just direct me to a server once I have it it (from a round
> robin or similar) so long as i caome frotme h same IP address.
> I guess I could somehow hardcode the sticky table ... but that is a
> step or 2 down the line

chris

"jibbajibba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> James wrote:
>> I haven't used the CSS for 3 years now however it does have an option
>> for sticking to servers / load balancing based on Source IP:-
>>
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08029cb84.html
>>
>> I hope this is what you were asking.

> Actually no not quite. I am not trying to do Sticky here I am hoping
> that I can determine which of 3 application servers gets hit based on
> which one of the 3 web servers the request comes from as opposed to
> tying each web server to a different VIP and then defining each vip as
> a different sequence of the three servers... if you see what i mean.
> Sticky will just direct me to a server once I have it it (from a round
> robin or similar) so long as i caome frotme h same IP address.
> I guess I could somehow hardcode the sticky table ... but that is a
> step or 2 down the line

Doesn't that defeat the object of using a load balancer? If you want each
web server to hit only one application server then why use a CSS? Maybe I'm
missing something in what you are trying to achieve?

Chris.

seancheney@gmail.com

jibbajibba wrote:
> James wrote:
> > I haven't used the CSS for 3 years now however it does have an option
> > for sticking to servers / load balancing based on Source IP:-
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...08029cb84.html
> >
> > I hope this is what you were asking.

> Actually no not quite. I am not trying to do Sticky here I am hoping
> that I can determine which of 3 application servers gets hit based on
> which one of the 3 web servers the request comes from as opposed to
> tying each web server to a different VIP and then defining each vip as
> a different sequence of the three servers... if you see what i mean.
> Sticky will just direct me to a server once I have it it (from a round
> robin or similar) so long as i caome frotme h same IP address.
> I guess I could somehow hardcode the sticky table ... but that is a
> step or 2 down the line

So, you're trying to stick based on a server the CSS has no knowledge
of?

client---css---webserver---appserver