Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > M$ windows python libs installed in arbitrary directories for customizedpython distributions

M$ windows python libs installed in arbitrary directories for customizedpython distributions

alf

Hi,

for some reason I have to deal with custom python distributions.

It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
dozen of libs and packages.

Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
installations probably due to missing registry entries.

Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

thx in advance,

--
alf

Fredrik Lundh

"alf" <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> wrote:

> It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
> python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
> c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
> the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
> dozen of libs and packages.
>
> Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
> want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
> installations probably due to missing registry entries.
>
> Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

it's spelled "Windows installers", and code to do the necessary registry updates
can be found here:

http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm

</F>

alf

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> "alf" <(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>It turned out it is quite simple - I just install the python from
>>python.org and all the libs needed. Then I take python2n.dll from
>>c:\win*\system32 and move directly to PYTHONDIR. Then I can just tar/zip
>>the PYTHON dir and distribute around so users do not have to deal with
>>dozen of libs and packages.
>>
>>Small difficulty is a maintenance of such "distribution". Namely when I
>>want install a new lib M$ installer just can not find my python
>>installations probably due to missing registry entries.
>>
>>Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

> it's spelled "Windows installers", and code to do the necessary registry updates
> can be found here:
>
> http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm
>
> </F>

thx for the hint ...

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Fredrik Lundh schrieb:
>> Is there any way to force the actual python site-lib for M$ installers????

> it's spelled "Windows installers"

I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" .

Regards,
Martin

alf

Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>>it's spelled "Windows installers"

> I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
> like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
> out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" .

ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

--
alf

Steve Holden

alf wrote:
> Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
>
>>>it's spelled "Windows installers"

>>I want to second this. It was me who created the installer, and I don't
>>like to see my name abbreviated as M$ (if you think you should write
>>out the name of the MSI creator, please say "Martin's installer" .

> ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

I suspect that's the significance of the smiley.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119

Fredrik Lundh

alf wrote:

> ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#writewell

</F>

DH

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> alf wrote:
>
>> ok, let me clarify, by M$ I meant Micro$oft.

> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...html#writewell
>
> </F>

And by /F, you mean **** off?

http://www.libervis.com/blogs/15/Jas...the_rtfm_jerks