Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Dropping internet connection

Dropping internet connection

=?Utf-8?B?YnVja3k=?=

I have a desktop running XP Home connected to a DSL modem by an ethernet
cable. I have a Lynksys 802.11b router connected to the modem with an
ethernet cable. My laptop running XP Pro connects to the internet just fine,
but most of the time my desktop displays a "cannot find server" unless I
disconnect the router cable from the DSL modem. Do I have something connected
incorrectly?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can not connect directly the Computer and the Router to the same Modem
(unless you have a multiple external IP account). The Computer should be
plugged into a regular port on the Router. By doing so both computers would
work well, that is what the Router is for.
Should Look like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...