Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > extensive smartnet (and other cisco product) part# listing

extensive smartnet (and other cisco product) part# listing

Walter Roberson

[NB: The pages referenced below index *many* Cisco parts, not just Smartnet.]

Those of you who have been trying to do competitive pricing on SmartNet
contracts over the last few months may have become aware that Cisco is
in the middle of revamping it's SmartNet part naming, moving away from
the Category / Package system to more specific naming derived
(inconsistantly) from the part number of the base device.

It is, though, very difficult to find information about the new part
numbers, even by calling Cisco directly. Googling for them often does
not help much, as there are thousands of dead ends and very few vendors
who have had the new part names indexed. And if you do manage to find
one of the few vendors with the part number, you may find that they
have made a subtle mistake in hyphenation, and that they are indexing
for a different device. For example, a SmartNet contract part number
that ends in 24T-S might be for a different device than one otherwise
the same that ends in 24TS.

Finding a comprehensive online list of Cisco SmartNet part numbers is
difficult; even the best vendors seldom index more than a thousand or
so of the part numbers.

This evening, I finally came across a very extensive (but not
completely complete!) Cisco part number list online. It is on pages
from a vendor I had never heard of before; the usual disclaimers apply,
that I have no experience with this particular vendor and have no idea
what they are like to deal with as a company. Their extensive part
list is a bit clumsy, but at least it is there.

The SmartNet part listing starts at

http://3prime-solutions.com/products...D00272127.aspx

As there are many many parts indexed, the list continues onto other
pages, but there is no 'Next Page' button. The number in the URL is
their relative catalogue number; about 500 items will be shown per page
from there. To see the next group, add about 500 to the number in
the URL. The last SmartNet part that I found is at 293704.
[Yes, I do mean that there are over 20,000 SmartNet contracts indexed there!]

A few site usage notes:

- the parts are not listed in strict alphanumeric order, but it is very
close.

- you might find it easiest to google restricting your search to that
site, rather than trying to fish through all the information

- the site search engine will zoom in and present about 20 items at a
time, but if you click on 'Next' then you will be given an error

- clicking on 'Stock Search' will probably give you an error

- there are sometimes item presentation boundary conditions involving
the first 2 lines of the listing and the last 1 line of the list;
sometimes the .aspx picks up a few items that are not directly
referenceable using a relative number scheme I describe above.

I have no connection to the above site: the above material is
just FYI, as I know how hard it can be to find a real Cisco part# list.
--
vi -- think of it as practice for the ROGUE Olympics!

BradReeseCom

Walter,

You may want to investigate the Cisco SMARTnet Pricing Calculator:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center
United Kingdom: 44-20-70784294
U.S. Toll Free: 866-864-0506
International: 717-489-1521
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: BradReeseCom
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-brad-reese.htm

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
BradReeseCom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:You may want to investigate the Cisco SMARTnet Pricing Calculator:

:http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

Ah, that does look useful; I didn't find that when I was doing
my research.

I did find some of your pages when I was doing my searching, directly
and linked to by something else, but the portion of your database that
I found was broken. If I recall correctly, when I went in through one
of the methods I received a message about my query being invalid, and
when I went in through the other method, I got a message about a
database error.
--
Is "meme" descriptive or perscriptive? Does the knowledge that
memes exist not subtly encourage the creation of more memes?

ITHSC ITHSC is offline
Junior Member
Location: United Kingdom

I think Cisco are still in the middle of revamping their SMARTnet part numbers, but until the new numbers arrive, you may find our SMARTnet site helpful. Its WIP but we are currently able to provide instant prices for SMARTnet hardware and software cover (SNT, SNTE, SNTP, OS, SPE, OSP) If it helps.