Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Datagrid problem - update method not getting called?!?

Datagrid problem - update method not getting called?!?

Erik

Why isn't my update method getting called?

Pasted below is an aspx from a 1.1 application I'm working on. It has
two textboxes and a button for inserting data into the database, and a
datagrid for editing and deleting data. When a user clicks on the
"Edit" button in the datagrid, Edit() method is called and the
appropriate row is changed into textboxes. And if user clicks on the
"Update" button, the Update() method is fired. But if the user hits
the Enter key instead of hitting the Update button, the Insert() method
is fired, as if the user had hit the "Insert" button. It's as if the
location of the insertion point is getting ignored or lost somehow.

If I make the two textboxes and button invisible in the Edit() method,
everything works. But it screws up the cosmetics, so I would like to
avoid this. I also tried setting the AutoPostBack to different values
on the textboxes (both within the datagrid and without) to no effect.

Is there a way around this? I just want my Update method called if the
user hits enter.

I think

Codebehind="Exp.aspx.vb" Inherits="project1.Exp"%>
<head>
<title>Exp</title>
</head>

Group: <asp:textbox id="uxGroupInsertBox" runat="server" />
Phrase: <asp:textbox id="uxPhraseInsertBox" runat="server" />
<asp:Button OnClick="Insert" Text="Insert" ID="uxIsertBtn"
Runat="server" />

<asp:datagrid id="uxPhrasesGrid" runat="server"
OnDeleteCommand="Delete"
OnCancelCommand="Cancel" OnUpdateCommand="Update"
OnEditCommand="Edit" UseAccessibleHeader="True"
AutoGenerateColumns="False" >
<Columns>
<asp:BoundColumn HeaderText="ID" DataField="phrase_id"
ReadOnly="True" />
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Group" SortExpression="name">
<ItemTemplate>
<%# Container.DataItem("group") %>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox runat="server" id="uxGroupUpdate"
text='<%#
Server.HTMLEncode(Container.DataItem("name").ToStr ing) %>' />
</EditItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Phrase" SortExpression="phrase">
<ItemTemplate>
<%# Container.DataItem("phrase") %>
</ItemTemplate>
<EditItemTemplate>
<asp:TextBox runat="server" id="uxPhraseUpdate"
text='<%#
Server.HTMLEncode(Container.DataItem("phrase").ToS tring) %>' />
</EditItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
<asp:EditCommandColumn EditText="Edit" ButtonType="PushButton"
UpdateText="Update" CancelText="Cancel" />
<asp:ButtonColumn Text="Delete" ButtonType="PushButton"
CommandName="Delete" />
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid>

</form>