Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Newbie experience on Tesco service

Newbie experience on Tesco service

The Invalid

On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Invalid wrote:
>> On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
>> >that over-hyped-Skype.

>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?

>1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

Not now

>2) The other main problem is that, due to its P2P nature, your PC is
>used to relay other peoples calls - not good if your broadband is a
>capped/limited traffic deal. If you then go over your limit, you would
>then have to pay for other callers use of your broadband. I,
>personally, wouldn't be too chuffed about that, if that happened to
>me...... Of course, if you're happy about that, fine.
>
>3) I'm sure someone else'll come up with a 3rd or 4th reason.
>
>OK, it's a personal choice, normally I wouldn't use Skype, but the only
>reason I might ever use it would be to call a skype user who didn't
>have a phone number that I could call them on. In that case, I'd fire
>it up for the one call.

I fire it up to talk to friends in OZ and France and the quality far
surpasses the BT call

The Invalid

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The Invalid formulated on Friday :
>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
>> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
>> stays on your account.

>How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
>ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

I haven't made a chargeable call in 6 months and my credit is still
there

>Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
>expires either.

Yep but sipgates crap

(now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)

Bovered ??

paul123

The Invalid wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >The Invalid wrote:

> >> Really? what's the problem with Skype?

> >1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

> Not now

Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

Ivor Jones

"The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:38:44 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)

> > > Really? what's the problem with Skype?

> > It requires a PC to be on.

> Wrong

Ok, it requires a PC to be on most of the time. I believe you can use it
on a PDA, but you can't use it with a normal ATA plugged into a router. Go
on, tell me I'm wrong on that one. But if you do, tell me why and with a
detailed explanation, don't say "wrong" with nothing else. Otherwise I'm
not likely to believe you.

> > > It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
> > > and the credit stays on your account.

> > So does my credit on Sipgate.

> And ? and ????????

And my credit doesn't expire on Sipgate. What did you think I meant..?

BTW Skype credit can and has been deleted from an account if it's not been
used in a certain time. I know because it happened to me, and is one of
the reasons (apart from above) why I don't use it any more.

Ivor

Ivor Jones

"paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> The Invalid wrote:
> > On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > 1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it
> > > to work.

> > Not now

> Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

It's possible to use it with a PDA (I've seen it done) and I understand
that there are now Wi-Fi phones that are Skype-capable, but for the most
part a PC is required. Certainly it can't be used with a normal ATA
plugged into a router.

Ivor

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Bernard:
> Jono avait envoye ceci le 25/08/2006 17:59
>> The Invalid formulated on Friday :
>>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
>>> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the
>>> credit stays on your account.

>> How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
>> ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?
>>
>> Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
>> expires either.
>>

> "Credit in your VoipCheap balance remains valid for calls for 90 days
> after your last purchase (unless stated otherwise, see for instance
> paybyphone transactions). If you top up your account after or before
> credit expires for calls any old credit left in your account will
> remain valid as well. If you don?t top up your account, credits can
> only be transfered back to you by banktransfer."
>
> For me, the up to 5Hrs worth of free calls I can make per week to a
> number of destinations (including foreign) and the rates for uk
> mobiles makes up for the 90 days 10 Euros credit. But then again, I'm
> new to all this and I can see that there are a few good deals out
> there !

I use VoipStunt, the same 10 (Ten Euro) lasts 120 days.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh The Invalid:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The Invalid formulated on Friday :
>>> Really? what's the problem with Skype?
>>> It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the
>>> credit stays on your account.

>> How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
>> ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

> I haven't made a chargeable call in 6 months and my credit is still
> there
>

>> Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
>> expires either.
>>

> Yep but sipgates crap

In what way?

> (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)
>
> Bovered ?? Chav Speak??

Ivor Jones

"The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> > Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure
> > voip.co.uk's never expires either.
> >

> Yep but sipgates crap

Oooh, an anti-Sipgate rant. We haven't had one of those for a while now,
it must be about time..!

Do tell us why you think they're crap..?

> (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)
>
> Bovered ??

I can't find "bovered" in my dictionary, what does it mean..?

BTW are you related to someone who calls himself Dexter..? We haven't seen
him for a while, are you out there, Ron..?!

Ivor

Jono

It happens that Ivor Jones formulated :

> "The Invalid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:38 +0100, Jono
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> > Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure
>> > voip.co.uk's never expires either.
>> >

>> Yep but sipgates crap

> Oooh, an anti-Sipgate rant. We haven't had one of those for a while now, it
> must be about time..!
>
> Do tell us why you think they're crap..?
>
>> (now sits back and waits for all the Nerds to pipe up)
>>
>> Bovered ??

> I can't find "bovered" in my dictionary, what does it mean..?
>
> BTW are you related to someone who calls himself Dexter..? We haven't seen
> him for a while, are you out there, Ron..?!
>

> Ivor

For a moment, I thought they might be one & the same, however, they
spell different things badly.

paul123

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com
> > The Invalid wrote:

> > > Not now

> > Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

> It's possible to use it with a PDA (I've seen it done) and I understand
> that there are now Wi-Fi phones that are Skype-capable, but for the most
> part a PC is required. Certainly it can't be used with a normal ATA
> plugged into a router.

Oh I see. Cheers. Still not going to use it though

Tesco to offer VOIP service Doz UK VOIP 4 01-19-2006 02:56 PM
Is there a person who I experience absurd event that experience? PS2 gamer Cisco 4 06-01-2004 07:52 PM
Tesco webspace Martin Computer Support 5 01-24-2004 11:27 AM
Forte Agent dial-up to Tesco.net? Martin Computer Support 6 01-10-2004 11:37 PM
tesco.net webspace for webpages Andrew Brown Computer Support 2 08-03-2003 11:46 AM

Advertisments