Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Offline Files

Offline Files

=?Utf-8?B?T1RITUFO?=

A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then joined
abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are encrypted. Even the
administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.

PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access the
files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.

--
You will get your 'thanks' after the problem has been resolved.
If you're lady we can arrange to meet

BD [MCNGP]

with in http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)?<<
> A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
>
> PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.

Why do clusers always do that? Instead of removing himself from the xyz domain,
all he had to do was create a different profile for the abc domain. Then he
would have been able to use a cached account to access the files.

If those files were encrypted with an account in the xyz domain, then I don't
think there is anyway of replicating the encryption key. I'd say he fuŠked
himself by disjoining the xyz domain, and he'd better hope there are backup
files somewhere.

About the only thing you can do for him is to decrypt the files he needs and
send them to him. I don't think that he'll even be able to decrypt the files
once he rejoins the xyz domain. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a
new authentication key is created when the rejoin takes place.

--
BD
MCNGP #51

BD [MCNGP]

>>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us
with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
>
> PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.

Also, check this KB, but it doesn't look like it applies to 2003 Server

"BD [MCNGP]" wrote:

> >>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us

> with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> > A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> > joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> > encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
> >
> > PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> > the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.
> >

> Why do clusers always do that? Instead of removing himself from the xyz domain,
> all he had to do was create a different profile for the abc domain. Then he
> would have been able to use a cached account to access the files.

It was too late to create a different profile, he already disjoined himself.

> If those files were encrypted with an account in the xyz domain, then I don't
> think there is anyway of replicating the encryption key. I'd say he fuŠked
> himself by disjoining the xyz domain, and he'd better hope there are backup
> files somewhere.

I agree

> About the only thing you can do for him is to decrypt the files he needs and
> send them to him. I don't think that he'll even be able to decrypt the files
> once he rejoins the xyz domain. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a
> new authentication key is created when the rejoin takes place.

How can I decrypt the files if I cannot even copy the files from the offline
folder?

--
Oh well! looks like I won't be meeting you for a drink. who's next.

=?Utf-8?B?T1RITUFO?=

"BD [MCNGP]" wrote:

> >>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us

> with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> > A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> > joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> > encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
> >
> > PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> > the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.
> >

> Also, check this KB, but it doesn't look like it applies to 2003 Server

check this link
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c18621675.mspx

=?Utf-8?B?T1RITUFO?=

"BD [MCNGP]" wrote:

> >>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us

> with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> > A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> > joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> > encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
> >
> > PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> > the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.
> >

> Also, check this KB, but it doesn't look like it applies to 2003 Server

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...y/cryptfs.mspx

=?Utf-8?B?T1RITUFO?=

"BD [MCNGP]" wrote:

> >>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us

> with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> > A user from xyz company disjoined his laptop from xyz domain and then
> > joined abc domain, he cannot access his offline files. They are
> > encrypted. Even the administrator cannot access it. Any ideas.
> >
> > PS: I am aware that if he rejoins the first domain then he can access
> > the files. The trouble is that the company is in a different country.
> >

> Also, check this KB, but it doesn't look like it applies to 2003 Server

What about if I ask them to send me the EFS certificate?

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=

> > --

> What about if I ask them to send me the EFS certificate?

That will work since the private key is included in the certificate.
However, try to copy those offline files into a FAT partition which will
remove the encryption automatically.

BD [MCNGP]

>>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us
with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<

> How can I decrypt the files if I cannot even copy the files from the
> offline folder?

That's why I was saying you need to have a backup of the files on the server. Or
actually, the offline files should be a backup (of sorts) of the actual files on
the server.

If you do have them on the server, then you can log in as that user....decrypt
the files then email them to him. (or put them on an FTP for him to DL.)

--

"BD [MCNGP]" wrote:

> >>Did you see what OTHMAN ((E-Mail Removed)) graced us

> with in (E-Mail Removed)?<<
> >
> > How can I decrypt the files if I cannot even copy the files from the
> > offline folder?
> >

> That's why I was saying you need to have a backup of the files on the server. Or
> actually, the offline files should be a backup (of sorts) of the actual files on
> the server.
>
> If you do have them on the server, then you can log in as that user....decrypt
> the files then email them to him. (or put them on an FTP for him to DL.)

Always Great, thanks