Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Profile location

Profile location

John

Stubby wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my
>>> machine and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would
>>> have to install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there
>>> is the problem of being sure I have the right version of all the
>>> programs and source files.
>>>

>> Hey, aren't you the person that said it was 5 minutes easy? Now,
>> you're saying it's a bitch of a project.

> Oh. Please. Give me a system running the right OS, compiler, etc. And
> give me a little while to look through the source code and I'll do the
> job with little effort. A seasoned Mozilla developer should be able
> to tune up the display produced by the Help>About command.

It never ceases to amaze me that people who don't know anything (or far
worse, know a little) always "know" how long it will take me to complete a
software project and they almost always add the "easy" qualifier.

When people told me how quick and easy something was going to be, I would
stand up and show them my seat and say, "Here, since it's so simple and quick
then you do it." Oh, no, they would respond. It's easy for you.

Try this: Next time you have your car repaired or see your doctor, tell them
how easy it will be and that it should be quick. Tell them that you'd fix
the brakes/shocks/whatever yourself (since it's so easy and quick) but that
you're lacking the right tools and that you'd operate on yourself but, gee,
you're just happen to be missing a scalpel.

I would go on, but the point would be lost on you.

gwtc

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>>

>> John wrote:

>>> Hey, aren't you the person that said it was 5 minutes easy? Now,
>>> you're saying it's a bitch of a project.

>> Oh. Please. Give me a system running the right OS, compiler, etc.
>> And give me a little while to look through the source code and I'll do
>> the job with little effort. A seasoned Mozilla developer should be
>> able to tune up the display produced by the Help>About command.

> Whats the 'right' OS? The program can be developed on Windows/Linux and
> Mac - it is after all a cross platform program.
>
> Whats the 'right' compiler? You can use several dependent on what system
> you are on.
>
> You mean, you KNOW it will be easy, yet you havent looked at the source
> code? Isnt that a little presumptuous of you?
>
> Come now, YOU are the one who said it would be easy, it can be done with
> little effort. Now you are just making excuses why you cant do it. If
> its so easy, then DO IT.

he's just trying to come up with excuses not to do it. Either he
doesn't want to, or he put his foot in his mouth by saying he could
when in reality he doesn't know how.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by simply
using the sink.