Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Profile location

Profile location

gwtc

Stubby wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> Thanks. I'm getting closer. I found mozilla.dev.general on
>>> news.mozilla.org . That seems to be the "right" place for my
>>> suggestion.
>>>

>> the dev is for developers only. You want the mozilla.support.firefox.
>> This is for support for using FF
>>

> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name and
> location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

you said you found the group called mozilla.dev.general and I'm saying
that the dev stands for developers. Its a developers group only, not
for user support

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

gwtc

> About 10 replies and no one still knows where the profile is
> located.... Pretty sad !!!!

thats because nobody ask.

--
Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

Arne

Once upon a time *(E-Mail Removed)* wrote:
> About 10 replies and no one still knows where the profile is
> located.... Pretty sad !!!!

Nobody have asked sutch a question, so why do you belive no one knows?

BTW, please don't top post!

* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:00:23 -0400, Stubby
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I suggest all Mozilla products should say where their profile is on the
>>Help>About screen. Is there a way to submit this suggestion for all
>>programs?
>>
>>During installation, the user should be advised of what profile is being
>>setup and given a chance to change it.

--
/Arne

John

Stubby wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name and
> location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

Whoaa! Unless you're one of the mozilla developers (and why put quotes
around developer? are you suggesting that they're not really developers and
some software program is writing the code for them?) how do you know that
it's "easy" and that it will only take 5 minutes? Have you looked at the
code? How did you arrive at that estimate?

I'll never get an intelligent response from you.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> Thanks. I'm getting closer. I found mozilla.dev.general on
>>> news.mozilla.org . That seems to be the "right" place for my
>>> suggestion.
>>>

>> the dev is for developers only. You want the mozilla.support.firefox.
>> This is for support for using FF
>>

> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name and
> location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

If yoy think its real easy to do, then do it yourself. Its open source
after all, anyone can contribute code.

Since this is so easy to do, please do it and submit the code, it will
be checked and if suitable will be included in the next release.

Stubby

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> the dev is for developers only. You want the
>>> mozilla.support.firefox. This is for support for using FF
>>>

>> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
>> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name and
>> location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

> If yoy think its real easy to do, then do it yourself. Its open source
> after all, anyone can contribute code.
>
> Since this is so easy to do, please do it and submit the code, it will
> be checked and if suitable will be included in the next release.

I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my machine
and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would have to
install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there is the
problem of being sure I have the right version of all the programs and
source files.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
>>> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name
>>> and location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

>> If yoy think its real easy to do, then do it yourself. Its open source
>> after all, anyone can contribute code.
>>
>> Since this is so easy to do, please do it and submit the code, it will
>> be checked and if suitable will be included in the next release.

> I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my machine
> and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would have to
> install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there is the
> problem of being sure I have the right version of all the programs and
> source files.

But you said it was really easy to do! You mean it isnt?

John

Stubby wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> I don't know what you mean by "the dev". However, I want to ask the
>>> "developers" to spend the 5 minutes or so to show the profile name
>>> and location on Help>About. It's really easy to do.

>> If yoy think its real easy to do, then do it yourself. Its open source
>> after all, anyone can contribute code.
>>
>> Since this is so easy to do, please do it and submit the code, it will
>> be checked and if suitable will be included in the next release.

> I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my machine
> and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would have to
> install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there is the
> problem of being sure I have the right version of all the programs and
> source files.

Hey, aren't you the person that said it was 5 minutes easy? Now, you're
saying it's a bitch of a project.

Stubby

John wrote:
> Stubby wrote:
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> If yoy think its real easy to do, then do it yourself. Its open
>>> source after all, anyone can contribute code.
>>>
>>> Since this is so easy to do, please do it and submit the code, it
>>> will be checked and if suitable will be included in the next release.

>> I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my
>> machine and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would
>> have to install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there
>> is the problem of being sure I have the right version of all the
>> programs and source files.
>>

> Hey, aren't you the person that said it was 5 minutes easy? Now, you're
> saying it's a bitch of a project.

Oh. Please. Give me a system running the right OS, compiler, etc.
And give me a little while to look through the source code and I'll do
the job with little effort. A seasoned Mozilla developer should be
able to tune up the display produced by the Help>About command.

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Stubby wrote:

> John wrote:
>> Stubby wrote:

>>> I looked into what it takes to build the Mozilla programs on my
>>> machine and it was just plain too much work. As I recall, I would
>>> have to install Cygwin and a bunch of UNIX programs . And then there
>>> is the problem of being sure I have the right version of all the
>>> programs and source files.
>>>

>> Hey, aren't you the person that said it was 5 minutes easy? Now,
>> you're saying it's a bitch of a project.

> Oh. Please. Give me a system running the right OS, compiler, etc. And
> give me a little while to look through the source code and I'll do the
> job with little effort. A seasoned Mozilla developer should be able
> to tune up the display produced by the Help>About command.

Whats the 'right' OS? The program can be developed on Windows/Linux and
Mac - it is after all a cross platform program.

Whats the 'right' compiler? You can use several dependent on what system
you are on.

You mean, you KNOW it will be easy, yet you havent looked at the source
code? Isnt that a little presumptuous of you?

Come now, YOU are the one who said it would be easy, it can be done with
little effort. Now you are just making excuses why you cant do it. If
its so easy, then DO IT.