Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Aironet 1200 Access point

Cisco Aironet 1200 Access point

KevS

I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to
upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website
and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the
process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion
software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded
the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im
doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through
the process, thank in advance.

Merv

KevS wrote:
> I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to
> upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website
> and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the
> process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion
> software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded
> the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im
> doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through
> the process, thank in advance.

see the section "Working with Software Images" at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507

1. connnect to the console port of access point

2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable

3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server

4. reload

KevS

Merv wrote:

> KevS wrote:
> > I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to
> > upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website
> > and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the
> > process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion
> > software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded
> > the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im
> > doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through
> > the process, thank in advance.

> see the section "Working with Software Images" at
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507
>
> 1. connnect to the console port of access point
>
> 2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable
>
> 3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server
>
> 4. reload

Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping
for a bit more simple step by step direction.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

KevS wrote:
> Merv wrote:
>
> > KevS wrote:
> > > I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to
> > > upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website
> > > and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the
> > > process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion
> > > software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded
> > > the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im
> > > doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through
> > > the process, thank in advance.

> > see the section "Working with Software Images" at
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507
> >
> > 1. connnect to the console port of access point
> >
> > 2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable
> >
> > 3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server
> >
> > 4. reload

> Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping
> for a bit more simple step by step direction.

The cisco documents are quite easy to follow once you get started.
There will of course be terrible difficulties - what /is/ a console
cable,
what /is/ tftp. If you have no experience of IT then you are starting
at quite a hard place and if things go wrong it just gets harder. If
on the other hand you do have some experience that you will
at least be able to start following the instructions and will be
stuck somewhere.

What document are you reading and where are you stuck?

As you reading Merv's instructions?
Where are you stuck with these?

I am not that familiar with the Aironets and so cannot
just make up instructions, however I can follow the
cisco documents.

Have you seen this? :-
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8019fea0.shtml
Upgrade Cisco Aironet AP1200 to IOS

Especially the "Recover from a Failure" section?

KevS

> KevS wrote:
> > Merv wrote:

> > > see the section "Working with Software Images" at
> > >
> > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507
> > >
> > > 1. connnect to the console port of access point
> > >
> > > 2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable
> > >
> > > 3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server
> > >
> > > 4. reload

> > Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping
> > for a bit more simple step by step direction.

> The cisco documents are quite easy to follow once you get started.
> There will of course be terrible difficulties - what /is/ a console
> cable,
> what /is/ tftp. If you have no experience of IT then you are starting
> at quite a hard place and if things go wrong it just gets harder. If
> on the other hand you do have some experience that you will
> at least be able to start following the instructions and will be
> stuck somewhere.
>
> What document are you reading and where are you stuck?
>
> As you reading Merv's instructions?
> Where are you stuck with these?
>
> I am not that familiar with the Aironets and so cannot
> just make up instructions, however I can follow the
> cisco documents.
>
> Have you seen this? :-
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8019fea0.shtml
> Upgrade Cisco Aironet AP1200 to IOS
>
> Especially the "Recover from a Failure" section?

I have managed to convert the AP to ion spftware but Im stuck trying to
upgrade the ion software, so I guess you could say Mervs point 3, I
keep getting error messages in telnet telling me it unable to open
archive file

mcaissie

"KevS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Merv wrote:
>
>> KevS wrote:
>> > I have a Cisco Aironet 1200B wireless access point and I would like to
>> > upgrade the software, I have had a good look aroung the Cisco website
>> > and honestly my head is spinning, could someone please explain the
>> > process in simple terms,I have managed to convert VXWorks to the Ion
>> > software but I cant get the Ion software to upgrade, I have downloaded
>> > the 3C Server TFTP Software. The problem is me, I have no idea what Im
>> > doing and would really appreciate it if someone could walk me through
>> > the process, thank in advance.

>> see the section "Working with Software Images" at
>>
>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507
>>
>> 1. connnect to the console port of access point
>>
>> 2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable
>>
>> 3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server
>>
>> 4. reload

> Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping
> for a bit more simple step by step direction.

The easiest way is through the web interface , and you wont need the TFTP
server.

Assuming you already have a copy of the new IOS version on your PC,
and assuming you have access to the AP configuration web interface.

Just go in the menu at the left of the web interface and click on SYSTEM
SOFTWARE then on Software Upgrade.
Next using the Browse button select the new IOS filename and click on
Upgrade .

KevS

mcaissie wrote:

> "KevS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Merv wrote:

> >> see the section "Working with Software Images" at
> >>
> >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp1035507
> >>
> >> 1. connnect to the console port of access point
> >>
> >> 2. ping IP address of TFTP server to ensure it is reachable
> >>
> >> 3. execute archive command to copy image from TFTP server
> >>
> >> 4. reload

> > Thanks for the reply Merv, this is totally new to me and I was hoping
> > for a bit more simple step by step direction.
> >

> The easiest way is through the web interface , and you wont need the TFTP
> server.
>
> Assuming you already have a copy of the new IOS version on your PC,
> and assuming you have access to the AP configuration web interface.
>

> Just go in the menu at the left of the web interface and click on SYSTEM
> SOFTWARE then on Software Upgrade.
> Next using the Browse button select the new IOS filename and click on
> Upgrade .

I already tried that and it didnt work, It actually says in the release
notes that the http upgrade wont work as the file is to big

Merv

Once you have a PC connected to the console make sure you enable
session logging in order to capture commands entered and AP response.

If you have any further issue, please post all of the session logs.

KevS

Merv wrote:

> Once you have a PC connected to the console make sure you enable
> session logging in order to capture commands entered and AP response.
>
> If you have any further issue, please post all of the session logs.

I still cant get it to work, Man this is frustrating, this is the
command I have been trying
archive download-sw /overwrite /reload
tftp://192.168.16.20/c1200-k9w7-ta* r.123-8.JA2.tar
the access point is getting the message as the lights change color etc
but it is still returning the error cant open file message

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

KevS wrote:
> Merv wrote:
>
> > Once you have a PC connected to the console make sure you enable
> > session logging in order to capture commands entered and AP response.
> >
> > If you have any further issue, please post all of the session logs.

> I still cant get it to work, Man this is frustrating, this is the
> command I have been trying
> archive download-sw /overwrite /reload
> tftp://192.168.16.20/c1200-k9w7-ta* r.123-8.JA2.tar
> the access point is getting the message as the lights change color etc
> but it is still returning the error cant open file message

Maybe the issue is just with tftp?
Does you tftp server have a status info or log?
I like tftpd32.exe partly since it has a log window that tells you
about file opens, transfer progress, tftp client address, etc

http://perso.orange.fr/philippe.jounin/tftpd32.html
No install, download, unzip, execute. You need to set the
directory that the files are to be served from and if the PC
has more than one interface to select the one you want.

You could possibly verify the tftp server from another (or the same?)
PC.
c:\temp\>tftp -i my.ip.address GET c1200-k9w7-ta* r.123-8.JA2.tar

Should copy the file from the PC's tftp server to the current
directory.
e.g. c:\temp.